Irrationality of the square root of a prime

In summary, the proof that the root of a prime is always irrational is based on the fact that a power has the same factors as its root, and since 2 is prime, it must be a factor of p. However, with the number 4, this is not relevant, as 4 can be expressed as 2x2 and it would be fallacious to say that 4 is a factor of p. This proof can also be shown through other methods such as the uniqueness of prime decomposition and the rational roots theorem.
LeBrad
I saw a proof saying the root of a prime is always irrational, and it went something like this:

sqrt(r) = p/q where p/q is reduced
r = p^2/q^2
r*q^2 = p^2 therefore, r divides p
so define p = c*r
r*q^2 = (c*r)^2 = c^2*r^2
q^2 = c^2*r therefore, r divides q also
since r divides p and q, p/q is not reduced and we have a contradition so sqrt(r) is irrational.

Now my question is, assuming the above is correct, why does this work for prime r and not, say, r = 4.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
LeBrad said:
I saw a proof saying the root of a prime is always irrational, and it went something like this:

r = p^2/q^2
so define p = c*r
since r divides p and q, p/q is not reduced and we have a contradition so sqrt(r) is irrational.

Now my question is, assuming the above is correct, why does this work for prime r and not, say, r = 4.

This proof is based on the fact that a power has the same factors than it's root. Since 2 is prime, then it must be a factor of p. But with the number 4 this is no longer revelant since 4=2x2 and it would be fallascious to say 4 is a factor of p.

Werg22 said:
This proof is based on the fact that a power has the same factors than it's root. Since 2 is prime, then it must be a factor of p. But with the number 4 this is no longer revelant since 4=2x2 and it would be fallascious to say 4 is a factor of p.

I figured that's where the difference was but I couldn't quite see why. Thanks.

another point to bear in mind is the "real" definition of primeness:

p is prime if whenever p diveds ab p divides one onf a or b. 4 fails this test.

here is another way of showing the same result:

suppose p=a^2/b^2, then rearranging pa^2=b^2. By the uniqueness of prime decomposition since the RHS has an even number of prime factors and the left an odd number we have a contradiction.

The argument is more general than that. If p is an natural number that is not a perfect square then its square root is irrational.

LeBrad said:

r = p^2/q^2
so define p = c*r

There is no way to express 4 as p/q, where p/q is reduced, except for the trivial case q = 1.

SGT said:
There is no way to express 4 as p/q, where p/q is reduced, except for the trivial case q = 1.

If every rational number can be expressed as the ratio of two integers, I don't see why 4 = 4/1 is trivial.

r = p^2/q^2

Hi, can you tell me why r divides p? Why not q^2=P^2/r ? Please teach me. Thank you very much!

logic2b1 said:
r = p^2/q^2

Hi, can you tell me why r divides p? Why not q^2=P^2/r ? Please teach me. Thank you very much!

r*q^2=p^2 means r divides p^2. LeBrad was assuming r was a prime, so r divides p^2 means r divides p (see matt's post for the definition of prime).

matt grime said:
suppose p=a^2/b^2, then rearranging pa^2=b^2. By the uniqueness of prime decomposition since the RHS has an even number of prime factors and the left an odd number we have a contradiction.
How about this ?

In the above, the RHS has an odd number of divisors while the LHS has an even number, unless p is a perfect square.

here is another similar proof:

if sqrt(p) = a/b, is in lowest tems, then p/1 = a^2/b^2 is also in lowest terms.

but lowest terms is unique so a^2 = p and b^2 = 1, i.e. p must be a perfect square.

here is another one: if X^2 - p =0 has a rational solution then by the rational roots theorem, then if p is prime, the solution is p, -p, 1, or -1, none of which work.

matt grime's method is elegant! I have never seen it done that way...

1. What is the irrationality of the square root of a prime number?

The irrationality of the square root of a prime number refers to the fact that the value of the square root of a prime number cannot be expressed as a fraction of two integers. In other words, it is a non-repeating, non-terminating decimal.

2. Why is the square root of a prime number irrational?

This is because prime numbers can only be divided by 1 and itself, meaning there is no other integer that can be multiplied by itself to result in a prime number. Since the square root of a number is the number multiplied by itself, the square root of a prime number cannot be expressed as a fraction of two integers.

3. Is the square root of all prime numbers irrational?

Yes, the square root of all prime numbers is irrational. This is because all prime numbers have no factors other than 1 and itself, making it impossible for the square root to be expressed as a fraction of two integers.

4. How can you prove the irrationality of the square root of a prime number?

A common proof is by contradiction, where we assume that the square root of a prime number is rational and can be expressed as a fraction of two integers. Then, we manipulate the equation to show that this leads to a contradiction, proving that the original assumption was false and therefore the square root of a prime number is irrational.

5. Are there any exceptions to the irrationality of the square root of a prime number?

No, there are no exceptions. The square root of all prime numbers is irrational, and this is a fundamental property of prime numbers. It is a key concept in number theory with many applications in mathematics and science.