1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irrationaltiy of sqrt(2)

1. Mar 5, 2005 #1

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you seen this argument? If sqrt(2) = p/q is in lowest terms, then also 2/1 = p^2/q^2 is in lowest terms. Since lowest terms is unique, p^2 = 2 and q^2 = 1. Thus sqrt(2) is the integer p. But 1^2 is too small, 2^2 is too big and all the resta re even bigger, so this is false. So sqrt(2) is not rational.

does anyone have a shorter one?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope.I've known this proof from 6-th grade.Learnt it in school.It's much nicer (though roughly equivalent) than the one with prime factors...

Daniel.

4. Mar 6, 2005 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

boy you had a good 6th grade teacher!

5. Mar 6, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A better proof, perhaps, and one that works for all non-squares.

let sqrt(x) = p/q, then xq^2=p^2, counting primes with multiplicity, unless x is a perfect square there will be an odd number of prime factors of the left hand side and an even number of the right handside

6. Mar 6, 2005 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

thats a nice proof, but when i first saw that as a student i didn't understand it, so i came up with the one above as using fewer tools, or at least apparently so.

moreover, doesn't the first proof above also work on all non squares? I.e. if p/q = sqrt(n) is in lowest terms, then so also is p^2/q^2 = n/1, so p^2 = n, and hence n is a perfect square.

of course both proofs rest on exactly the same fact, uniqueness of factorization into primes.

7. Mar 6, 2005 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I just don't like using fractions unnecessarily.

8. Mar 6, 2005 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

chaque a son gout. but you do not mind using prime factorization.

To me it seems rather hard to avoid fractions in discussing rational numbers, but i agree the correct first step in a problem involving fractions is normally to remove them.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  9. Mar 7, 2005 #8
    This may be the same argument as you're using, don't know really. Assume that sqrt(2) is rational, then we have p and q such as sqrt(2) = p/q. This gived 2 = p^2/q^2. But since gcd(p,q)=1 then p^2/q^2 isn't an integer unless q=1. This gives the equation 2 = p^2 with integers, no integer can solve this equation, and hence sqrt(2) cannot be rational.

10. Mar 11, 2005 #9
    would it not be:

p^2 = nq^2

?

11. Mar 11, 2005 #10

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well if p^2 /q^2 = n/1, and the left side is known to be in lowest terms, and if the lowest terms form of a fraction is unique, then since the right side n/1 is obviously also in lowest terms, then the two fractions must be equal, i.e;. they must have the same top and same bottom.

Since the tops are equal, p^2 = n.

so of course you are right, that p^2 = nq^2, but in fact also q^2 = 1.

12. Mar 12, 2005 #11
    I've heard that the nth root of 2 (n an integer, greater than or equal to 2) is irrational. How would one prove that?

13. Mar 12, 2005 #12

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you tried applying the same technique?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?