1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irreducibility of Polynomial

1. Dec 5, 2012 #1
    Hi. There is a polynomial f = (x^3) + 2(x^2) + 1, f belongs to Q[x]. It will be shown that the polynomial is irreducible by contradiction. If it is reducible, (degree here is three) it must have a root in Q, of the form r/s where (r,s) = 1. Plugging in r/s for variable x will resolve to
    r^3 + 2(r^2)s + (s^3) = 0

I don't understand the next part of the solution. Why introduce this prime number that divides s.
    --
    Suppose a prime number p divides s.
    This implies p divides 2(r^2)s + (s^2)
    Or, this implies also the above equals 2(r^2)pa + (p^3)(a^3) = p(2(r^2)a + (p^2)(a^3)) which implies p divides (r^3) which also means p divides r which is contradiction because (r,s) = 1
    ---
    So I follow the above steps, but what does prime number p dividing s or r have anything to do with this?

Next part of solution.
    --> If s = 1, (r^3) + 2(r^2) + 1 = 0 means r((r^2) + 2r) = -1 implies r = 1 or -1, but 1 and -1 are not roots, seen by evaluating.
    Same argument for s = -1.
    This means that r/s is not a root, so not irreducible in Q[x]
    ---
    So I'm lost about this step too. Only thing that I think is that if you let s = 1 or -1, it's as if you are trying to find something about a root in Z...1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can easily show it's irreducible by using the rational roots theorem. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_root_theorem What they doing here is not using the theorem but working through the proof of the theorem for this specific polynomial. Either s has a prime factor which contradicts (r,s)=1 or s=1 or -1. That doesn't work either.

4. Dec 5, 2012 #3
    This is basically a proof by cases for a reduced rational number r/s

Case 1, s is not a unit in Z (i.e. s is not 1 or -1): Then by prime factorization in Z, there is a prime p which divides s. Yada yada. This contradicts r and s coprime. It sounds like you understand the yada yada part. So Case 1 doesn't work.

Case 2, s is a unit in Z (i.e. s is either 1 or -1): Then r must also be a unit in Z (do you understand why this must be true?). However neither unit works. So we can't be in Case 2 either.

Case 1 and Case 2 exhaust all possible cases for rational roots. Neither works. So the root(s) must be irrational.

5. Dec 6, 2012 #4
    I should have mentioned, the example was given as a warm up before learning the rational root test, so I can't make use of it.

When I have r^3 + 2(r^2)s + (s^3) = 0, if I just show that it also equals
    s(2(r^2) + (s^2)) = -(r^3), isn't this enough to show that s divides r so (s,r) != 1 . So now I eliminated rational numbers with GCD = 1 , ie all of them?

6. Dec 6, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you can't say s*n=r^3 implies that s divides r. 4*2=2^3 but 4 doesn't divide 2. That's exactly why they picked the prime. If p*n=r^3 and p is prime then it's correct to say p divides r.

7. Dec 6, 2012 #6
    omg'z ....

I see. thank you thank you thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook