1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irreducible polynomials

1. Apr 19, 2006 #1

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

im teeching algebra and had to prove that X^5 - 8 was irreducible over the rationals. so i did it using eisenstein.

then more generally i seem to have proved that X^n - a is irreducible over the rationals whenever it has no rational root.

but i used galois theory, and the course im teching does not have that in it.

is there an easier proof? im a rookie at this stuff.

thanks

:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2006 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That doesn't seem to be true in general, x^4-4=(x^2-2)(x^2+2), but it has no rational root.

4. Apr 19, 2006 #3

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]x^5-8 = \prod _{k=1}^5(x-\alpha\xi ^k)[/tex]

where [itex]\xi[/itex] is one of the non-real fifth-roots of unity, and [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the real fifth-root of 8. It's clear that this polynomial isn't reducible over the rationals into a product of linear factors, so if it were reducible over the rationals, it would have an irreducible-over-Q factor which would be a product of 2, 3, or 4 of the [itex](x-\alpha\xi ^k)[/itex]. The constant term of this irreducible factor would have a constant term of the form [itex]\pm\alpha ^j \xi ^{k_1 + \dots + k_j}[/itex] where j is 2, 3, or 4, and the ki are in {1,2,3,4,5}. If [itex]\alpha ^j[/itex] is rational, then so is [itex]\alpha ^{gcd(5,j)} = \alpha[/itex]. It's easy to prove this false, in a similar manner that we prove 21/2 is irrational. So [itex]\alpha ^j[/itex] is irrational, hence so is [itex]\pm\alpha ^j\xi ^{k_1 + \dots + k_j}[/itex], and so this factor which was supposedly an irreducible polynomial over Q is not a polynomial over Q at all, so there is no such factor, and so the original polynomial is indeed irreducible over Q.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  5. Apr 20, 2006 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sorry, i meant x^n -a where n is prime.

6. Apr 20, 2006 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

x^5 -8 or x^p - n^k is easy since the field generated by a root is contained in Q[n^(1/p)] which has degree p by eisenstein if n is not a pth root. so Q[(n^k/p)] is a subfield of a field of prime degree, hence either the root is already in Q or the field is of degree p also.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?