Irreducible Representations

In summary: Since the sum of two subspaces is defined as the set of all sums of elements of the subspaces I+W = {q+w| q \in I and w \in W} = {p | p \in P_1}.Is anything I typed remotely on the right track here? Trying to wrap my head around this stuff.In summary, the problem involves a vector space V of dimension 3, a representation P_1(V) which is a one-dimensional polynomial space, and two subspaces I and W which are S_3 invariant subspaces. The first task is to show that I and W are irreducible, meaning there are no G-invariant subspaces for them. The second task is to find a basis
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Let V have dimension 3 and consider P_1(V ) = P(1,0,0) = span of {x,y,z}.Let I denote the subspace of all polynomials in P_1 of the form {rx+ry +rz|r any scalar}.Let W denote the subspace of all polynomials in P_1 of the form {rx+sy+tz|r+s+t = 0}. I and W are S_3 invariant subspaces

Show that I and W are subspaces that are irreducible. Find a basis for the subspaces I and W. Show that P1 = I⊕W.

The Attempt at a Solution

Math newb here, going to need a lot of help on this.

Where my head is at:
P_1(V) is a representation of S_3, which means that S_3 performed it's group action of composition on a vector space V, and the resulting representation was a polynomial with degree 1 (P_1). P_1 is a reducible representation and can be decomposed into two non-irreducible sub-representations I and W.

My first job is to show that I and W are irreducible. This would mean that there are no G-invariant subspaces for representations I and W?

My second job is to find the basis for the subspaces I and W. Is a basis a vector that is able to span the vector space? So I'm looking for vectors that span the representations I and W? Are representations still considered vector spaces?

Finally I must show and I+W = P_1. P_1 is a sort of abstract notion right? It's a three dimensional vector that has been acted upon by the S_3 symmetric group, which means that the representation P_1 contains different permutations of the basis vectors of V that include (1), (1,2), (1,3), (2,3) (1,2,3), (1,3,2) in cycle notation.

Is anything I typed remotely on the right track here? Trying to wrap my head around this stuff.

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Let V have dimension 3 and consider P_1(V ) = P(1,0,0) = span of {x,y,z}.Let I denote the subspace of all polynomials in P_1 of the form {rx+ry +rz|r any scalar}.Let W denote the subspace of all polynomials in P_1 of the form {rx+sy+tz|r+s+t = 0}. I and W are S_3 invariant subspaces

Show that I and W are subspaces that are irreducible. Find a basis for the subspaces I and W. Show that P1 = I⊕W.

The Attempt at a Solution

Math newb here, going to need a lot of help on this.

Where my head is at:
P_1(V) is a representation of S_3, which means that S_3 performed it's group action of composition on a vector space V, and the resulting representation was a polynomial with degree 1 (P_1). P_1 is a reducible representation and can be decomposed into two non-irreducible sub-representations I and W.

[itex]S_3[/itex] is acting linearly on [itex]V[/itex] in such a way as to permute the members of some basis set for [itex]V[/itex]. The components of a vector in [itex]V[/itex] with respect to that basis are [itex]x[/itex], [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex].

[itex]P_1[/itex] is the set of polynomials of the form [itex]ax + by + cz[/itex] where [itex]a[/itex], [itex]b[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex] are arbitrary scalars and [itex]x[/itex], [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex] are as above. It is a vector space under the operations of pointwise addition and scalar multiplication.

The action of [itex]\sigma[/itex] on [itex]V[/itex] induces an action on [itex]P_1[/itex] by [itex]\sigma(p) = p \circ \sigma^{-1}[/itex] for [itex]p \in P_1[/itex] and [itex]\sigma \in S_3[/itex] (the inverse is necessary in order that [itex]\rho(\sigma(p)) = (\rho\sigma)(p)[/itex]). Since [itex]P_1[/itex] consists of linear polynomials the action of [itex]S_3[/itex] on [itex]P_1[/itex] is linear, and so a representation.

My first job is to show that I and W are irreducible. This would mean that there are no G-invariant subspaces for representations I and W?

Yes. When looking for invariant subspaces it doesn't matter whether you ask if [itex]p \circ \sigma^{-1} \in I[/itex] or [itex]p \circ \sigma \in I[/itex] since every element is the inverse of some element (and the only elements of [itex]S_3[/itex] that you need to check are the transpositions, which are all self-inverse anyway).

My second job is to find the basis for the subspaces I and W. Is a basis a vector that is able to span the vector space? So I'm looking for vectors that span the representations I and W? Are representations still considered vector spaces?

Yes. Strictly the representation is the homomorphism from [itex]G[/itex] to the general linear group on the vector space, although (confusingly in my view) it is apparently common to refer to the space as the representation if the homomorphism is clear.

Finally I must show and I+W = P_1. P_1 is a sort of abstract notion right? It's a three dimensional vector that has been acted upon by the S_3 symmetric group, which means that the representation P_1 contains different permutations of the basis vectors of V that include (1), (1,2), (1,3), (2,3) (1,2,3), (1,3,2) in cycle notation.

The claim is that every [itex]p \in P_1[/itex] can be written in the form [itex]p = q + w[/itex] where [itex]q \in I[/itex] and [itex]w \in W[/itex].

1. What are irreducible representations?

Irreducible representations, or irreps, are mathematical objects used to describe the symmetry properties of a physical system. They are used in the field of group theory to break down the symmetry of a system into smaller, simpler components.

2. How are irreducible representations related to group theory?

Irreducible representations are closely related to group theory, as they are used to define the symmetry properties of a group. They are used to classify and analyze the representations of a group, which can then be used to understand the structure and behavior of the system.

3. What is the significance of irreducible representations in physics?

Irreducible representations are essential in physics, particularly in the study of symmetries and conservation laws. They are used to classify the fundamental particles and their interactions, as well as to understand the properties of crystals and molecules.

4. How are irreducible representations calculated?

The calculation of irreducible representations depends on the specific group and system being studied. In general, it involves transforming the symmetry operations of the group into matrices, which can then be diagonalized to obtain the irreducible representations.

5. Can irreducible representations be applied to real-world systems?

Yes, irreducible representations have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and materials science. They are used to understand the symmetry and properties of crystals, molecules, and other physical systems, and have been crucial in the development of modern technology.