1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irregular Cantilever question

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to calculate displacement for an irregular cantilever beam, i.e. one that is not the normal straight-beam that you would see in a textbook.

Please see the attached image. If the left end is fixed, and I want to calculate the displacement of point A due to an applied force at that point, how would I go about it?

Are you still able to use M_x = EI * d^2y/dx^2 and solve for displacement by integrating? I am not exactly sure how the geometry of the weird bended shape comes into play. Thanks.

- T

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2011 #2
    The cantilever beam has three segments:
    1) Horizontal segment with moment inertia I_1
    2) Diagonal segment at middle with moment inertia I_2
    3) Diagonal segment at end with moment inertia I_3

Note: I_2 is determined relative to global Y axis (not local Y axis). Thus, I_2>I_1 as illustrated. I_3 is not required for calculations; only its horizontal length is needed.

The beam has four points
    A) At support
    B) Right of segment 1
    C) Right of segment 2
    D) Right of segment 3

Procedure:
    a) Calculate flexure and deflection over segment 2
    b) Calculate flexure and deflection over segment 1
    c) Add deflection 1 and 2 to give total deflection at point C
    d) Determine curvature at point C
    e) Determine tangent of segment 3, and thus deflection of segment 4
    f) Add deflection of point step (c) to setup (e) to yield total deflection at (4)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook