1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irregularly shaped DC circuit?

1. Jan 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

Re = R1 + R2 + R3

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't really understand this problem. I'm not sure how to approach it. I thought 5 = Rb + Rc, and I did that for all the rest of the resistors to solve the system but that was wrong.

Can someone just help me understand what the problem is asking and what it gives?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I would interpret it to mean that

Ra + Rb = 6

etc.

3 equations - 3 unknowns

4. Jan 24, 2009 #3
    That's exactly what I did, and got a nice rational number - 3.5 (the answer is almost never rational). It's wrong.

5. Jan 24, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I see what's wrong.

Ra + Rb = 6 || (5 + 6)

The equivalent resistance from one to the other includes the alternate series pair in parallel with the direct one.

6. Jan 24, 2009 #5
    So you're saying Ra + Rb = (1/6 + 1/11)^-1?

Isn't that saying the total resistance of the first circuit equals only the sum of the resistances Ra and Rb?

7. Jan 24, 2009 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Yes that's the calculation.

No, it's how the resistors are taken. Note the circuit is not symmetrical. You get pair-wise different equations.

There's 6 || 11 and 6 || 11 and 5 || 12

8. Jan 24, 2009 #7
    Ah ok, thank you.

9. Jan 24, 2009 #8

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

This is known as the Y-delta transform (though this question is probably to get you guys to derive the transformation to be covered in class!):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-Δ_transform

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?