Explorer 6 Thread Jump Issue: Irritation & Solutions

• Thread starter Bartholomew
  • Start date
In summary: I usually just scroll down to the bottom of the last page and hit enter. Yep, sounds like your browser is doing what it's supposed to do. I'm talking about when there are multiple pages, and I just click on the number for the last page. I think it's supposed to take me to the top of the last page, not the last post, but either way, it's not consistent where I wind up. (BTW, do other people talk about computers the way I do? My computer at work hacked up a furball when it decided to revert to default settings for no apparent reason, and my computer at home vomits up cookies. I give them quite a personality, don't I
Bartholomew
On my browser--Explorer 6--there is an irritating feature when I click on a thread. It jumps lower than I want to go, even when I've never looked at the thread before. In fact, it does this twice; once when first opening the page, then once again when the various smileys, LaTex, etc. are done loading. I have to scroll up originally, and then hold down the scroll bar to prevent being interrupted in the middle of a sentence :grumpy: Does anyone else notice this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bartholomew said:
On my browser--Explorer 6--there is an irritating feature when I click on a thread. It jumps lower than I want to go, even when I've never looked at the thread before. In fact, it does this twice; once when first opening the page, then once again when the various smileys, LaTex, etc. are done loading. I have to scroll up originally, and then hold down the scroll bar to prevent being interrupted in the middle of a sentence :grumpy: Does anyone else notice this problem?
It does it only while the page is loading. Once the page is fully loaded, it will no longer move.

And, for once, it's not just an Explorer issue. I get the same thing in Safari. Though, there seems no rhyme or reason why I'm sometimes taken directly to the last post in a thread and sometimes to the top of the last page of the thread (when I click on the last page of a thread I've been following). I have my browser set to accept cookies, but I think it sometimes vomits them up anyway, and suspect that has something to do with it (sometimes I'll go away and come back and all the posts I've already viewed reappear in bold as if I hadn't viewed them even when there are no new replies...seems that would only happen if the computer wasn't keeping its cookies down).

i have the same problem

marlon

I do not have this problem, but I might, depending on what button you are clicking. When I click on a thread, the whole thread name, then my browser(firefox) will start at the top of the thread regardless of whether I have looked at it or not. However, when I click on that little symbol next to a thread my browser will go to the newest post in that thread. This is what is supposed to happen right?

mattmns said:
I do not have this problem, but I might, depending on what button you are clicking. When I click on a thread, the whole thread name, then my browser(firefox) will start at the top of the thread regardless of whether I have looked at it or not. However, when I click on that little symbol next to a thread my browser will go to the newest post in that thread. This is what is supposed to happen right?

Yep, sounds like your browser is doing what it's supposed to do. I'm talking about when there are multiple pages, and I just click on the number for the last page. I think it's supposed to take me to the top of the last page, not the last post, but either way, it's not consistent where I wind up.

(BTW, do other people talk about computers the way I do? My computer at work hacked up a furball when it decided to revert to default settings for no apparent reason, and my computer at home vomits up cookies. I give them quite a personality, don't I? :rofl:)

Ohh, then my browser does that too, the page thing. However, I have it set up so that there is about 30 or 40 posts per page so I rarely notice it.

1. What is the "Explorer 6 Thread Jump Issue" and why does it cause irritation?

The "Explorer 6 Thread Jump Issue" refers to a problem with the Internet Explorer 6 browser where threads (groups of messages or discussions) on web forums or message boards would jump out of order, making it difficult for users to follow the conversation. This caused irritation because it disrupted the flow of the discussion and made it difficult to understand the context of replies.

2. How does the "Explorer 6 Thread Jump Issue" affect user experience?

The "Explorer 6 Thread Jump Issue" can greatly affect user experience on web forums and message boards. It can make it difficult for users to follow and participate in discussions, leading to frustration and confusion. It also makes it difficult for moderators to manage the forum and keep discussions organized.

3. What are some possible solutions for the "Explorer 6 Thread Jump Issue"?

One solution is to upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or switch to a different web browser altogether. Another solution is to use a forum software that is not affected by this issue, such as vBulletin or phpBB. Alternatively, forum owners can implement custom coding or plugins to fix the problem.

4. Can the "Explorer 6 Thread Jump Issue" be fixed permanently?

Unfortunately, since Internet Explorer 6 is an outdated browser, the issue cannot be fixed permanently. However, forum owners and users can take steps to minimize the impact of this issue, such as using alternative browsers or forum software, as mentioned previously.

5. Is the "Explorer 6 Thread Jump Issue" still a problem today?

No, the "Explorer 6 Thread Jump Issue" is not a problem today as Internet Explorer 6 is no longer widely used. Most websites and forums have moved on to newer versions of Internet Explorer or other browsers, and the issue is no longer relevant.