Calculating Limits: The Uncertainty of 0*Infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of a calculus problem involving x approaching infinity. The person has simplified the problem to ln(e+1/x^2)+x(ln(e+1/x^2)-1) and is questioning if the answer can be left as 1-0=1 or if it needs to be rearranged to get 0/0 or inf/inf. The expert suggests using L'hopital Rule or changing variables to find the derivative of the function ln(e+u) at the point u=0.
Dell
in a calculus problem i am doing, i need to find the Limit of

Lim (1+x)ln(e-1/x^2)-x
x->infinity

i have brought it to a point where i have ln(e+1/x^2)+x(ln(e+1/x^2)-1)
therefore my limit is 1-(0*inf)

can i leave this as 1-0=1 and that would be my answer or do i somehow need to change it around to get 0/0 of inf/inf??

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure how did you arrive on your second sentence, but from there, you need to use L'hopital Rule on (ln(e+1/x^2)-1)/(1/x), though if you change variables you get that this is definition of the derivative of the function ln(e+u) at the point u=0, have I ruined it for you, have I? :-)

1. What is the meaning of "0*infinity" in terms of uncertainty?

The expression "0*infinity" is a mathematical concept that arises when dealing with limits. It represents a situation where a value (0) is multiplied by infinity, which results in an indeterminate form. In the context of uncertainty, this could mean that the value is either extremely small or extremely large, making it difficult to determine its exact value.

2. Can "0*infinity" be considered as a precise value?

No, "0*infinity" cannot be considered as a precise value. As mentioned before, it is an indeterminate form, which means it does not have a specific numerical value. It is often used in mathematical equations and limits to represent a situation where the value is unknown or undefined.

3. How does "0*infinity" relate to uncertainty in scientific measurements?

In scientific measurements, "0*infinity" can represent a situation where the measurement is either too small or too large to be accurately determined. This can occur due to limitations in measurement tools or techniques, or when dealing with extremely large or small quantities.

4. Is there a way to calculate the value of "0*infinity" in uncertain situations?

No, there is no way to calculate the value of "0*infinity" in uncertain situations. As mentioned before, it is an indeterminate form and does not have a specific numerical value. In scientific measurements, it is often used as a symbol to represent uncertainty or an unknown value.

5. How can "0*infinity" be interpreted in the context of scientific research and experiments?

In scientific research and experiments, "0*infinity" can be interpreted as a situation where the results or data are inconclusive or uncertain. It can also represent a limit or boundary beyond which the current understanding or techniques are unable to provide accurate measurements or predictions.