Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is 0 is an even and positive number?

1. Apr 19, 2004 #1

A friend of mine told me that (by his teacher) 0 is an even and positive number, how can it be?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

0 is definitely an even number, since it may be written as 2*n, where n is some integer.
    I think it's more usual to say that 0 is a non-negative number, but I'm not sure..

4. Apr 19, 2004 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

0 is definitely not a positive number. Positive means greater than zero, and zero is certainly not greater than itself.

5. Apr 19, 2004 #4
    for as far as I know, 0 is both positive and negative.

I suppose I will hear no argument if I say that 0 is in both N+ and N-, so that pretty much solves it, no?

6. Apr 19, 2004 #5
    All the definitions of positive numbers that I've ever seen exclude zero. So zero is not a positive number. However it is true that it is an even number.

7. Apr 19, 2004 #6

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Both or Neither

Depending on the situation, zero may be considered to be positive, negative, both, or neither.
    In some computers, negative and positive zero may be different, but in normal mathematics, whether zero is considered to be positive depends somewhat on context.

8. Apr 19, 2004 #7

By standard logic there is the excluded middle rule.

Is there any influence based on this rule and the definition of 0 (positive, negative, both, or neither)?

9. Apr 19, 2004 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is a matter of convention. To avoid confusion one should say things like strictly positve and so on. It is no different from saying greater rthan and not specifiying if we mean strictly or posisibly equal. It shuold be no great hardship to make oneself clear.

10. Apr 20, 2004 #9

Is there any formal and rigorous way to show the difference between 'strictly positive' and 'positive'?

What is 'posisibly equal'?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2004
  11. Apr 20, 2004 #10

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"What is 'posisibly equal'?"

A typo. It should read possibly.

12. Apr 20, 2004 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I wouldn't consider computer practice to say anything at all about mathematics!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?