Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is 18 still a Teenager?

1. Jul 21, 2016 #1
    I don't wanna be an adult, this idea freaks me out and makes me feel old

Is 18 still an adolescent or is considered adult? When are you an adult and no more an adolescent?
    20?

What's the difference between teen and adolescent?

And how did you dealed with the teen-adult transition? Was it painful and full of nostalgia?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2016 #2
    The age at which a person legally becomes an adult differs with countries and culture, but 18 is quite common.
    The legal distinction is there to define whether the person is responsible for their action, or whether the parent is.
    Individual personalities vary enormously though, so thus physical age isn't that important other than that younger people suffer less from physical health issues.
    I know some teens who are passionate about starting their own business, while I know some 60 year old people who appreciate modern dance music.
    It's not as though there is some sharp transition either and suddenly you wake up one day as a completely changed person.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  4. Jul 21, 2016 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The word "teenager" refers to the "teen" in your age. As in, eighteen.

5. Jul 21, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I hated being an adolescent. I hated every second of it. I'm happy it's gone now.

6. Jul 21, 2016 #5

jtbell

I was never a teenager. I didn't start really listening to music until I was in high school. At that point I sampled a bit of everything: rock, pop, jazz, classical, country... and settled on classical music. That's all I've listened to, when I've had a choice about it, ever since.

7. Jul 21, 2016 #6
    It depends on life circumstances. If you are 18 and have an easy life in college partying etc you still have that feeling of a spoiled teenager :-)
    If your life was hard during the childhood and you had lots of responsibilities you may act like an adult sooner.
    It all depends on personality and circumstances.

8. Jul 21, 2016 #7
    Kids don't or can't do many things adults do. Some very things adults like doing but kids are not allowed to do at their young ages. You can still act like a teen even after you become really old with a good sense of humor for people to enjoy and learn. You will look naughty and cute. But if you act like an adult or old person while you're just a teen, you will have less or no friends and have to deal with lot of things in life more than other ordinary teenagers will.
    This is true. I also see most American kids act quite like adults. I guess it's freedom and indulge from their parents or supervisors also. Spoiled kids! but when they become adults, they may change.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  9. Jul 21, 2016 #8
    I used to meet many people 10-15 years younger than me in a local library. They wore short-sighted glasses and like to correct every single statement or word others said in a tone as if they were Newton, Einstein etc or attorneys. They were still in college and always kept a straight face like busy businessmen/women though. I used to learn a word on PF by lisb to describe these superstars but I forgot as I didn't use it on anyone else then.

10. Jul 21, 2016 #9
    I got an easy life without responsibilities, but is more the idea that something won't come back again that makes me feel bad...

11. Jul 21, 2016 #10
    In life, making it easy for others also means making it easy for yourself.
    To distinguish love from personal possession, I think what you really love will be what you give away or let go of for others to enjoy and learn from it not what you keep forever by your side.
    You're not old when your spirit is still young.

12. Jul 21, 2016 #11
    I also started listening to music mostly at high school and I settled on pop ☺

13. Jul 21, 2016 #12
    Hey, I have been with vbulletin boards for over a decade, so I can read metaphors. ☻

14. Jul 21, 2016 #13

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your age isn't determined by the music you listen to :smile:

15. Jul 21, 2016 #14
    Living in SoCal is my dream you're so lucky

16. Jul 21, 2016 #15

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My philosophy is: you can only be young once, but you can be immature for a lifetime! :woot:

17. Jul 21, 2016 #16

jtbell

At some point, you're going to have to take on the responsibility of supporting yourself financially, at least. For me, this was when I started graduate school and had an assistantship that paid my tuition and basic living expenses. This was back in the days when it was possible for frugal working-class parents in the US to send a kid to a private college (not an elite one!) for undergraduate.

Later on, it helps if you marry someone who can support him/herself financially if necessary. Children are another matter!

18. Jul 21, 2016 #17

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

I consider 18+ an adult. Trust me, the new freedom will be worth it! Other adults will take you more seriously, that in itself is worth the transition.

19. Jul 22, 2016 #18
    I do not feel bad that teenager "zits" never came back.:biggrin:
    But now I feel bad that my hair is not coming back.:nb)
    Trade one for the other, they never told me that. :confused:

20. Jul 22, 2016 #19

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Why did you hate it if I may ask?

21. Jul 23, 2016 #20

Dembadon

Gold Member

Technically, yes, you are still a teenager. But maturity doesn't always come with age. Sometimes adults still act like teenagers, while some teenagers are more mature than many adults I know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted