Is 1800 Newton meters enough torque to generate 1.5 kilowatts of power?

In summary, the conversation discusses a new project and requests for help. There is a discussion about torque and speed, as well as the use of a gearbox to multiply torque and rotation rate. Ultimately, it is mentioned that a sketch diagram and information on power are needed for a complete understanding of the system.
Tony Singh
Homework Statement
The problem is i am not sure if i am right with my calculation please check
Relevant Equations
3 motors with propellers thrust force = 40 Newton meter(NM)
39= 13 Nm each motor, times 3 (13 X 3 = 39)
The turbine blade or the lever arm 3 meters that is the radius fro the rotor or axis
Multiply (Force 40 NM times distance 3 m equals torque 120 NM gearbox input shaft
Torque 120 NM at 120 revolution per minute (RPM) goes into the gearbox at ratio of 1-15 to get output gearbox shaft torque multiply 120 NM with ratio 15 equals (1800 NM at 1800 RPM) = (120 rpm X 15) Is good for 1.5 kilowatt generator with 100% efficiency
i am working on new project so i could use your help.
Please and Thank you
Tony

Physics news on Phys.org
You've quoted a lot of numbers. It is not clear which ones go with which other ones.

It appears that the input is a torque of 120 Newton-meters at 120 revolutions per minute. [If you were trying to calculate this, I could not follow the calculation -- it did not make sense to me].

We have a 15 to one gearbox. You seem to think that this gearbox will both multiply torque by fifteen and multiply rotation rate by fifteen. It does not work that way. If you multiply torque by some factor in a gearbox, you divide the rotation rate by the same factor.

Likes berkeman
Tony Singh said:
3 motors with propellers thrust force = 40 Newton meter(NM)
Thrust is measured in Newtons.
Torque is in Newton-meters.

Can you provide a sketch diagram of the system.

You have provided a torque, but no speed. The information is incomplete because we don't know how much power is available.

1. Is 1800 Newton meters enough torque to generate 1.5 kilowatts of power?

In order to determine if 1800 Newton meters is enough torque to generate 1.5 kilowatts of power, we need to first convert the units. Torque is measured in Newton meters and power is measured in kilowatts. One kilowatt is equal to 1000 watts. Therefore, 1.5 kilowatts is equal to 1500 watts. To convert from watts to Newton meters, we can use the equation Power = Torque x Angular velocity. By rearranging this equation, we can find that Torque = Power / Angular velocity. If we assume an average angular velocity of 500 revolutions per minute (rpm), then Torque = 1500 watts / (500 rpm x (2π/60)). This gives us a torque of approximately 47.7 Newton meters, which is significantly less than 1800 Newton meters. Therefore, 1800 Newton meters is more than enough torque to generate 1.5 kilowatts of power.

2. Can torque and power be converted between each other?

Yes, torque and power can be converted between each other using the equation Power = Torque x Angular velocity. This equation shows that power and torque are directly proportional to each other, meaning that an increase in one will result in a corresponding increase in the other. Therefore, by changing the torque or the angular velocity, we can alter the power output of a system.

3. Is 1800 Newton meters a high amount of torque?

The answer to this question depends on the context and the specific application. In some cases, 1800 Newton meters may be considered a high amount of torque, while in others it may be relatively low. It also depends on the power output required for the system. Generally, the higher the torque, the more forceful the rotational motion will be.

4. How does torque affect power output?

Torque and power are directly proportional to each other. This means that an increase in torque will result in a corresponding increase in power output, and vice versa. This relationship is important in understanding the performance of a system and how to optimize it for maximum power output.

5. Can torque and power be increased simultaneously?

Yes, torque and power can be increased simultaneously by increasing both the force (torque) and rotational speed (angular velocity) of the system. This can be achieved by using a larger motor or increasing the gear ratio, which will result in higher torque and a corresponding increase in power output. However, it's important to note that there are limitations to how much torque and power a system can handle before it becomes unstable or inefficient.