Is 1C really not equal to 1K? Investigating the Differences

• Thread starter dhar666
  • Start date
In summary, our instructor wants us to prove that 1C is not equal to 1K by finding the difference between the freezing and boiling points of water.
dhar666

Homework Statement

All we know think that 1C = 1K as difference. But our instructor said that they were not equal each other and wanted from us that we would prove this as homework. How can we prove that they were not equal each other?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
dhar666 said:

Homework Statement

All we know think that 1C = 1K as difference. But our instructor said that they were not equal each other and wanted from us that we would prove this as homework. How can we prove that they were not equal each other?

K being Kelvin? And I don't exactly understand your question, do you need to prove that 1C is not equal to 1Kelvin? Because its not. 1C = 274.15Kelvin

Last edited:
well 1 degree Celsius is equal to 274 Kelvin. the values of each degree are the same though, so I'm not sure what he means by prove it. perhaps you could list the temperature of absolute zero in kelvin and Celsius, then do the same for the freezing and boiling points of water...

Numzie said:
1C = 273.15Kelvin

thats the measure for 0 Celsius in Kelvin

sadakaa said:
thats the measure for 0 Celsius in Kelvin

Thats true, my bad.

Sorry for misunderstanding. Instructor wrote on the blackboard as this:

Is 1K (Kelvin) difference equal or not equal to 1C (celcius) difference?

Everybody said that yes they are equal to each other but our instructor said that no they are not equal to each other and wanted from us to prove this as homework.

I have a MSc degree and attending PHd. classes, this is the first time i have ever heard about this.

I could only imagine your instructor was referring to how celsius and Kelvin scales were defined. The Kelvin scale was defined by absolute zero and the triple point of water. The celsius scale was defined by the melting point of ice and the boiling point of water. Many years ago they changed the definition of the celsius scale so that it too was defined by the absolute zero and the triple point of water. That means that the increments of 1K and 1 celsius are effectively defined to be the same.

Thanks for your reply. Maybe it can be related with whether it is celcius or centigrade but it sounds strange when it is heard as they are not equal each other.

Is there anyone who have strange or different opinion?

Or, i mean, what will I write in my homework :)

read Kurdt's post (last sentence if anything)

1. How can you prove that 1C is not equal to 1K in your analysis?

In order to prove that 1C is not equal to 1K, we can use mathematical equations and logical reasoning to demonstrate that the two quantities are not equivalent. This can be done by showing that the units of measurement (C and K) represent different values and cannot be equal.

2. What is the significance of proving that 1C is not equal to 1K?

Proving that 1C is not equal to 1K is important in understanding the differences between the Celsius and Kelvin temperature scales. It also highlights the importance of using the correct units of measurement in scientific calculations and experiments.

3. Can you provide an example of how 1C and 1K are not equal?

One example of how 1C and 1K are not equal is in the freezing point of water. While 0 degrees Celsius is equivalent to 273.15 Kelvin, the two temperatures do not represent the same value. This is because the Kelvin scale starts at absolute zero, while the Celsius scale starts at the freezing point of water.

4. Why is it important to use the correct units of measurement in scientific analysis?

Using the correct units of measurement is crucial in scientific analysis because it ensures accuracy and consistency in data and results. Different units may represent different quantities, and using the wrong units can lead to incorrect conclusions and flawed experiments.

5. Can you prove that 1C and 1K are not equal using only logical reasoning?

Yes, we can prove that 1C and 1K are not equal using logical reasoning. Since the Kelvin scale starts at absolute zero and the Celsius scale starts at the freezing point of water, there is a difference of 273.15 between the two scales. Therefore, any value in Celsius will always be 273.15 less than the equivalent value in Kelvin, indicating that the two units are not equal.