Starting Calculus at 27: Is Math-Heavy Work Realistic?

In summary, quixoticquant, it is possible to pursue a career that heavily involves math at your age, but it may be more difficult to enter certain areas such as pure mathematics research compared to applied areas. It is important to consider your specific aspirations and not compare yourself to others who have been doing math for longer. It may be beneficial to wait until you finish your undergraduate degree before making a decision about pursuing mathematics, as your background will still be useful in other endeavors. Ultimately, with effort and energy, you can become better at something regardless of your age.
quixoticquant
I'm almost 27 and just starting calculus. I really like math and want to do something that uses it intensively, at my age is it realistic to do work that is heavy in math, considering I am at the level I am now, and will take me a few years I presume to be past undergrad level math?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hey quixoticquant and welcome to the forums.

Depending on the kind of math you wish to pursue, I would say yes to some areas and no to others: it's not that you can't do it, it's just that the likelihood would be low for something like pure mathematics research as compared to say applied areas of mathematics.

You should point out your specific aspirations to get specific advice.

I personally think you can learn and get up to speed regardless of your age, but just be aware that you won't be like the 27 year old who has been doing this kind of thing compulsively since 18 and you shouldn't try and make a comparison that you somehow inferior as a result: the other person has been at it for longer and naturally you would expect them to be better in many ways just like any expert is likely to be better than an amateur in any field (not just mathematics).

You may want to wait until you finish the first couple of years (or your undergraduate degree) before you make a decision about pursuing mathematics: you may like it now but you may not later and even if you don't like it later, your background will still be very useful no doubt in other endeavors.

If you want to become better at something and put in the effort and energy, then in all likelihood, this is what will happen.

What is calculus and why is it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the calculation of rates of change and the study of continuous change. It is important in many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics, as it provides tools for understanding complex systems and solving real-world problems.

Is it realistic to start learning calculus at 27?

Yes, it is absolutely realistic to start learning calculus at 27. Age is not a barrier to learning new things, and with dedication and hard work, anyone can learn and excel at calculus regardless of their age.

How long does it take to learn calculus?

The time it takes to learn calculus varies from person to person. It depends on factors such as prior knowledge of math, learning style, and dedication. With consistent effort, it is possible to learn the basics of calculus in a few months, but becoming proficient may take a year or more.

What are some tips for learning calculus at 27?

Some tips for learning calculus at 27 include setting realistic goals, finding a good study group or tutor, practicing regularly, and seeking help when needed. It is also important to stay motivated and not get discouraged by any initial difficulties.

Are there any career opportunities for someone starting calculus at 27?

Yes, there are many career opportunities for someone starting calculus at 27. Many fields such as data science, finance, and engineering require a strong foundation in calculus. Additionally, learning calculus can also open up opportunities for further education in fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science.