1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is 5pi/2=pi/2 ?

1. Jun 15, 2010 #1

[tex]i=e^{\frac{\pi }{2}i}=e^{\frac{5\pi }{2}i}\Rightarrow e^{\frac{\pi }{2}ii}=e^{\frac{5\pi }{2}ii}=e^{-\frac{\pi }{2}}=e^{-\frac{5\pi }{2}}[/tex]

The result of this is 5pi/2=pi/2.Please explain to me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2010 #2
    You need to be careful with the function a -> a^i since you need logarithm to define it and therefore need to stick with one branch.
  4. Jun 16, 2010 #3

Science Advisor

exp(a)=exp(b) does not imply a=b, but a=b+i2pi.
  5. Jun 16, 2010 #4
    That is a true statement for all real values of x.
    So x = -x for any real value of x, which implies that every real number is actually EQUAL TO ZERO!!!

Do you (OP) understand the error in this??
  6. Jun 16, 2010 #5
    The problem here is that the exponential function on the complex plane is not injective. That is, even if ea = eb, we cannot infer that a = b. Analogously, even if sin(0) = sin([tex]\pi[/tex]), we cannot infer that 0 = [tex]\pi[/tex].

Probably a typo there. a and b differ by a multiple of 2 i pi, i.e. a = b + 2k i pi where k is an integer.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  7. Jun 17, 2010 #6

Homework Helper

This is not quite a resolution to the OP's question (even fixed to read [itex]2\pi k[/itex] instead of just [itex]2\pi[/itex]). If a and b are real, that still implies a = b, and k = 0.

The fully correct resolution is, as eok20 stated, that stating [itex]i = e^{something}[/itex], what you're really doing is writing [itex]i = \exp[\log i][/itex], so you need to choose a branch of the logarithm. In doing so, you cannot equate [itex]\exp(i\pi/2)[/itex] and [itex]\exp(5\pii/2)[/itex] because they exist on different branches.
  8. Jun 22, 2010 #7
    The expression of a complex number in exponential form is based on Euler's formula relating it to its polar form: r*exp(i*a)=r*[cos(a)+i*sin(a)]. Because the trig functions are periodic, there is not a unique polar representation. As already stated, there is no injective map.
    Accordingly, the polar form of a complex number is defined based on the principal value of the argument of the complex number, which means restricting a to the interval (-pi,pi].
    So, fundamentally, it is not correct to say that i= exp(i*pi/2) = exp(i*5pi/2).
    However, it so happens that 5pi/2 = pi/2 since 5pi/2= pi/2 + 2pi on the unit circle.
  9. Jun 22, 2010 #8
    Is this a serious question?
  10. Jun 22, 2010 #9
    Is this a serious answer????
  11. Oct 20, 2010 #10
    Hi, I am currently doing Logarithmic Differntiation in my class and had to simplify a similar answer and was able to do so by takeing the natural log of both sides.
    ex: e^x=e^pi/2
  12. Oct 20, 2010 #11
    Be careful about the domain of the functions.
  13. Oct 20, 2010 #12
    is 5x/2=x/2 ???
  14. Oct 21, 2010 #13

Homework Helper

Your point being? Obviously [itex]x=\pi/2[/itex] since the exponents need to be the same. This thread is talking about exponentials in the complex plane, which is a little more complicated.
  15. Oct 24, 2010 #14
    Or maybe the question is simple, and the student is just confused by the results. 5pi/2=pi/2 because 5pi=pi because pi is 180 degrees and all the multiples of 2 pi drop out.

Just a thought.
  16. Oct 24, 2010 #15

Homework Helper

No [tex]5\pi/2\neq \pi/2[/tex], obviously. What you're referring to is trigonometry such that [tex]sin(\pi/2)=sin(5\pi/2)[/tex] and such. This is not the same.

I'm still confused as to what GeoFiend was trying to accomplish with his post.
  17. Oct 25, 2010 #16

Science Advisor

Just to stick in my oar: [itex]\pi/2= 5\pi/2[/itex] modulo [itex]2\pi[/itex]. And, if you are working with trig functions that have period [itex]2\pi[/itex], then "modulo [itex]2\pi[/itex]" is sufficient.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook