1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Is 80pa a huge pressure?

1. Mar 14, 2016 #1
    I went to a desalination plant and the guy explaining reverse osmosis says that they force water through the membrane at a huge pressure of 80 pa

But I was wondering and that is less than 1atm. And it's like an 8kg placed on a 1 square meter space. I thing a 65kg human gives more pressure since the feet is smaller than 1 meter squared.
    What am I missing here

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2016 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

4. Mar 14, 2016 #3
    I know that. I'm asking this is 80 pa a lot of pressure? Cause that guy in the plant said so and I asked him if he's sure it's pa and he said " yes 80pa " and said it was a " huge" pressure.

5. Mar 14, 2016 #4
    The guy at the plant is incorrect. It takes pressure of the order of many hundreds of psi to force the water through a membrane depending on the salinity. 80 Pa is as you noted is pretty low. Think of the order of MPa.

6. Mar 14, 2016 #5
    Thank you

7. Mar 14, 2016 #6
    As the link shows, the pressures used are in the range of 80 bar rather than 80 Pa.
    So it may be than someone was confused about units.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted