Is a 120 Watt or 60 Watt bulb brighter?

• Thread starter sk8rlindz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bulb Watt
In summary: The 60W bulb will get 60/120 = .5 V of the voltage, while the 120W will get 120/240 = .8 V. So, the 120W bulb will get brighter because it can use all of the voltage.
sk8rlindz
I had to do some homeowrk problems and i was hoping someone could just double check my answers... much appreciated.

When you connect a 120 watt bulb and a 60 watt bulb in a parallel circcuit across a standard 120 volt outlet, which is brighter?
the 120 watt bulb is brighter- right? because the current flowing through the circuit connects to both bulbs, and both get the 120 volts but the 120 watt bulb can actually use that amount of power.

If you connect the same bulbs in a series circuit, which bulb is brighter? and why?

The 60 watt bulb is brighter. The current is now divided among the two bulbs and the 60 watt bulb can utilize the entire 60 volts it gets ,while the 120 watt bulb can only light half of it's potential. or does it have to do with the 60 watt bulb being the path of least resistance?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, determine the resistance of each bulb. Remember, power is voltage * current.

[tex]\begin{gather*}
V = I \cdot R\\
P = IV = V^2 / R = I^2 R\\
120\ W = (120\ V)^2 / R \Rightarrow R_{120\ W} = 120\ \Omega\\
60\ W = (120\ V)^2 / R \Rightarrow R_{60\ W} = 240\ \Omega
\end{gather*}
[/tex]

The 120W bulb has a resistance of 120 ohms. The 60W bulb has a resistance of 240 ohms.

So how do a 120 ohm and 240 ohm resistance act in parallel? Each one experiences the same voltage (120 V), so the power dissipated, [itex]P = V^2/R[/itex], is 120W for the 120 ohm bulb, and 60W for the 240 ohm bulb.

How about in series? The resistances in series add together, for a total of 360 ohms. 120 volts applied to 360 ohms is 1/3 A current.

How much power is dissipated by each bulb? [itex]P = I^2 R[/itex], or 10.8 W for the 120 ohm bulb and 21.6 W for the 240 ohm bulb.

Your suspicion is current -- the 120 ohm bulb is dimmer than the 240 ohm bumb when wired in series.

- Warren

Last edited:

Study chroot's answer for a full explanation. I just want to comment on some of your statements.

Originally posted by sk8rlindz
When you connect a 120 watt bulb and a 60 watt bulb in a parallel circcuit across a standard 120 volt outlet, which is brighter?
the 120 watt bulb is brighter- right? because the current flowing through the circuit connects to both bulbs, and both get the 120 volts but the 120 watt bulb can actually use that amount of power.
For bulbs connected in parallel across a voltage supply, the same voltage connects to each bulb, not current. Each bulb has its own independent current (which you can calculate as chroot explains). Since each bulb gets the full voltage (120V) they can each operate at their full power. Of course, a 120W bulb (when operating at its full 120 Watts) is brighter than a 60W bulb.
If you connect the same bulbs in a series circuit, which bulb is brighter? and why?

The 60 watt bulb is brighter. The current is now divided among the two bulbs and the 60 watt bulb can utilize the entire 60 volts it gets ,while the 120 watt bulb can only light half of it's potential. or does it have to do with the 60 watt bulb being the path of least resistance?
For bulbs in series, the same (but smaller!) current flows through each. The voltage is divided (but not equally!) between the bulbs. Since the same current flows through each, the one with the most resistance will have the biggest share of the voltage and power.

Originally posted by Doc Al
For bulbs in series, the same (but smaller!) current flows through each. The voltage is divided (but not equally!) between the bulbs. Since the same current flows through each, the one with the most resistance will have the biggest share of the voltage and power.

Yep, that's right. P = I^2R. Since both have the same current, the variable is resistance.

1. Is a 120 Watt bulb always brighter than a 60 Watt bulb?

No, the wattage of a bulb does not necessarily determine its brightness. Other factors such as the type of bulb and its efficiency also play a role in determining brightness.

2. How do I know which bulb is brighter, a 120 Watt or 60 Watt?

The best way to determine which bulb is brighter is to compare their lumens. Lumens measure the amount of light emitted by a bulb, so a higher lumen count means a brighter bulb. You can find the lumens listed on the packaging of the bulb.

3. Can a 60 Watt bulb be brighter than a 120 Watt bulb?

Yes, it is possible for a 60 Watt bulb to be brighter than a 120 Watt bulb. This can occur if the 60 Watt bulb is more efficient at converting electricity into light, resulting in a higher lumen output.

4. Does using a higher wattage bulb make a room brighter?

Not necessarily. Using a higher wattage bulb may result in a brighter room, but it can also lead to higher energy consumption and potential overheating of the fixture. It is important to consider the appropriate wattage for the room and to choose a bulb with the desired lumens.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a 120 Watt bulb over a 60 Watt bulb?

Yes, using a bulb with a higher wattage than what is recommended for the fixture can be a fire hazard. It is important to always follow the recommended wattage for the fixture and to check for any safety warnings on the bulb packaging.