Is a 2.3 BAC Possible? - Jacob's Inquiry

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of blood alcohol level and the dangers of excessive drinking. It is mentioned that a BAC of .3 is where adults can start dying and a friend once had a BAC of .3 at age 14. Another person in the conversation claims that two other kids had a BAC of 2.3, but it is believed that the decimal was in the wrong place and they actually had a BAC of .23. The conversation concludes by clarifying that BAC is recorded in milligrams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood and a BAC of .10 means 1/10 of 1 percent of your total blood content is alcohol.
wasteofo2
I was hanging out with some friends tonight, and they started talking about people who had gone to the hospital because of drinking. Unless my health teacher lied to me horribly, .3 is generally where adults start dying. A friend of mine once had .3 at age 14, and had to go to the hospital and get his stomach pumped - that was really really really bad.

But a kid there claimed that at least 2 other kids had gotten 2.3's. According to the former kid, one of the latter kids had drunk a poland spring bottle full of vodka, and thus got a 2.3 BAC, and had to have his stomach pumped several times. I'm PRETTY sure that these guys just have the decimal in the wrong place, and these teenage kids had a .23 BAC, and needed their stomach pumped, as having 2 percent of your blood being alcohol simply sounds like it couldn't happen with you surviving.

Anyone learned in the science of crunkology that can clarify this pressing issue?

Thanks,
Jacob

Biology news on Phys.org
Hell i thought anything above 1.0 meant over 100% lol, so i don't know :)

I thought BAC was literally percentage of alcohol in the blood, so a .3 BAC meant that you had 3 parts per thousand of alcohol in your blood.

I think your estimate is right. Those kids had the decimal in the wrong place, or perhaps they were just lying. If they had 2.3% blood/alcohol level then their blood would be more alcoholic than some cheap American beers. That's just not going to work.

Huck

It is... but I am not sure what the number means. let me check it out...

Ok here we go

The amount of alcohol in your blood stream is referred to as Blood Alcohol Level (BAL). It is recorded in milligrams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood, or milligrams percent. For example, a BAL of .10 means that 1/10 of 1 percent (or 1/1000) of your total blood content is alcohol.

Related to Is a 2.3 BAC Possible? - Jacob's Inquiry

1. Is a 2.3 BAC possible?

Yes, a 2.3 BAC (blood alcohol concentration) is possible. However, it is an extremely high and dangerous level that can result in severe impairment and potentially fatal consequences.

2. How does BAC affect the body?

As BAC increases, it can cause a range of effects such as impaired judgment, loss of coordination, slowed reaction time, and impaired vision and hearing. At high levels, BAC can also lead to loss of consciousness, coma, and even death.

3. What factors can affect BAC?

Various factors can affect BAC, including the amount and rate of alcohol consumption, body weight, gender, and food intake. Other factors such as medications, health conditions, and alcohol tolerance can also play a role.

4. How long does it take for BAC to decrease?

The liver can process approximately one standard drink per hour, which results in a decrease of about 0.015% BAC per hour. However, the rate at which BAC decreases can vary depending on individual factors such as metabolism and hydration levels.

5. Can a person survive with a 2.3 BAC?

It is possible for a person to survive with a 2.3 BAC, but it is extremely dangerous and can result in severe health consequences. It is important to seek medical attention immediately if someone has a BAC of 2.3 or higher.