1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is a factor group by a non-trivial normal subgroup is always smaller than the group ?

1. Mar 23, 2012 #1

Leb

This is not really a homework questions, rather a concept based one. I am studying from Fraleigh's ''Intro to abstract algebra'' and in chapter 15 it states, that for a group G and normal non-trivial subgroup of N of G, the factor group G/N will be smaller than G. I am not sure how he counts the change in size of the group.

For instance(ex from wiki), if we take G=Z6 and it's normal subgroup N={0,3} we get G/N to be { {0, 3}, {1, 4}, {2, 5} } (i.e. all the cosets, which partition the whole of G). Or do we take each coset as a different element in G/N ?
    That is a={0,3}, b= {1,4}, c={2,5} so that |G/N| = 3 ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Is a factor group by a non-trivial normal subgroup is always smaller than the gro

Yes, what you say is true. The elements of a factor group of group G are subsets of G. Further, they "partition" G- each element of G is in one and only one of these subsets. Finally, every coset contains the same number of elements. That is, if |G|= n and |N|= m then |G/N|= n/m.

If m= 1, then N is just the identity and G/N= G. In all other cases, m> 1 so n/m< n.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook