1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is a Master on Physics useful ?

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    i have been offered to Course a Master on Physics , it would last one year (2008-2009) and would consist on 8 subjects and an Academic work about a certain subject.

my question is does really worth ? i mean if having a Master on Math or Physics can help improving your chances to get a grant or find a better Job.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It really depends on the kind of job you're looking for or the career path you're considering.

If you want to go into academia, and you're considering a master's program as compared to a Ph.D. program, the advantage of the master's degree is that is allows you to get your feet wet in graduate level physics without the long term committment of a full Ph.D.

If you want to go out into industry, the master's degree will make you more educated and give you a higher and more specialized skill set than a person with an undergraduate degree. The specific skill set will depend on what you study in your program and this will naturally affect your personal marketability.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?