Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is a thread best read backwards?

1. Jun 7, 2006 #1
    Sometimes i find myself reading threads backwards (from the last post to the first). I do it mainly when i cant be bothered to read the first replies and want to skip to the real action.

Amazingly when i do this, i understand peoples points better and quicker than i would do otherwise!

Is a thread best read backwards?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2006 #2
    The only reason I'm writing this is to move the number of posts above 1 so that it can be read backwards.

4. Jun 7, 2006 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

So was the movie "Memento" your favorite?

5. Jun 7, 2006 #4

dav2008

Gold Member

!nalp ruoy deliof evah I

6. Jun 7, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Haha read backwards... literally - funny :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  7. Jun 7, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I can't be bothered reading the first posts so i dont care what this threads about

8. Jun 7, 2006 #7
    Actually, that can be true. In forums, it is not unusual to come across comments which seem to make no sense, such as mine :)
    As the thread developes, often there is clarification on prior comments. Reading backwards, the original "non-sense" comment can become strikingly transformed into "sense"; an attribute not available by reading "forwards" one time.

Another curious aspect of reading forums "backwards" is that your mind challenges itself! That is, a last post comment to a previous post may not include actual reference to that previous post, so you mind say's "what's going-on here!" That can be quite stimulating.

9. Jun 7, 2006 #8

Mk

I always read the thread killer's thread backwards. You can't read it forwards like Danger does. :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?