Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is all real?

1. yes

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. no

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. maybe

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Oct 19, 2009 #1
    "His book The Nature of Experience (1927) contained his arguments that space, time, and matter cannot possibly be real. In his Studies in Hegelian Cosmology, Cambridge, 1901, p. 196,"
    What you think about that? What if if everything do not exist, but comes enterly from nothing? I mean nature don't exist, physics don't have lows if you will try to go deeper and to understand as like human body coexist and human brains working. What if it working by simulation principle from nothing, this simulation do not exist even. Exist or do not exist universe and everything matterial? Matterial exist or not? Matery exist or do not?

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idealism#British_idealism

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2009 #2
    That depends on your definition of real.
    What I can say for certain is that I am experiencing a world, so at least I know that is real.
    Defining some kind of objective existence seems impossible, because all our perceptions and measurements will be subjective anyway.
    It's very hard to tell where the line goes from our subjective experience to where it becomes objective and outside our minds, even though we naturally are built with such conceptions.

But even so, I am from the camp that believes the world I see actually exists outside myself, and that I am a local isolated consciousness wandering around in this world.
    I can't really prove it per se, so I guess it's up to faith and belief.

4. Oct 20, 2009 #3
    To me it does, and isn't that all that really matters. : )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook