Is an electron beam affected by photons?

Summary:
Are beams made of electrons, like the kind used in the double slit experiments, able to withstand the presence of light or air molecules, without interacting?
I am wondering if one of the prerequisites of the double-slit experiment, when done with electrons, is that the beams must be in a dark vaccuum tube so as to not destroy the interference pattern. I am trying to learn if the beams will lose their interference pattern because the particles of the beam are interacting with other particles like photons or gases before hitting the screen.

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Summary:: Are beams made of electrons, like the kind used in the double slit experiments, able to withstand the presence of light or air molecules, without interacting?

I am wondering if one of the prerequisites of the double-slit experiment, when done with electrons, is that the beams must be in a dark vaccuum tube so as to not destroy the interference pattern. I am trying to learn if the beams will lose their interference pattern because the particles of the beam are interacting with other particles like photons or gases before hitting the screen.
It's better to do the electron double-slit experiment in a vacuum, as you may lose some electrons to collisions with air molecules. It's not a question of losing the interference pattern, it's that electrons may be lost to the experiment (or significantly deflected). Fairly obviously, you need the electrons to have a clear path to the screen.

Last edited:
Likes danielhaish and Herbascious J
It's better to do the electron double-slit experiment in a vacuum, as you may lose some electrons to collisions with air molecules. It's not a question of losing the interference pattern, it's that electrons may be lost to the experiment (or significantly deflected). Fairly obviously, you need the electrons to have a clear path to the screen.
I know that I didn't asked the question . but I am also wondering do the interaction with air wouldn't destroy the experiment ?