Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is an expanding universe the same as an "uncurving" universe

1. Feb 25, 2015 #1
    Is the expansion of the universe after the big bang just the the "uncurving" of space time from an inconceivable point? And if so, is the loss of energy that curved it that much the only thing that could allow it to "uncurve"? I hate to use the word loss of energy, but i'm not for sure where the energy that could curve the entire universe to a single point could go.

Also, can or has anyone calculated the energy it would take to curve the observable universe in on itself.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm not sure what the "uncurving" of spacetime means, nor do I understand the concept of an "inconceivable point" and then to end it off, I have no idea what "curving the universe in on itself" could mean. Can you elaborate on these? Your questions do not seem to make sense but that could well be because I don't understand your terminology.

4. Feb 25, 2015 #3
    I'm sure it is my lack of understanding and my inability to form coherent questions. I'll try to break it up.

We have calculated how much mass it would take to create a black hole where space time is so curved light can't escape.

We have attempted to cacluate how much energy it would take to fold space time and create worm holes, and hopefully one day travel to the stars.

Can/has anyone attempted to cacluate how much energy it would take to fold or curve the entire observable universe in on itself?

Is expansion as described in the big bang theory the uncurving or unfolding of space time?

And finally, If it is uncurving/unfolding what else could cause this besides a loss of energy or it being transferred to somewhere else?

5. Feb 25, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no such amount of mass. A black hole can theoretically have any mass. The process forming a black hole is different, but there is no need for a black hole to have a particular mass.

It is not clear what you mean by this or how you imagine that this would proceed.

No. It is expansion of space. It is unclear what you mean by uncurving or unfolding, but do realise that it is mainly space-time that is curved. From observations we know that the purely spatial part is essentially flat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook