Uncurving the Universe: Expansion After Big Bang & Energy Loss

In summary: And finally, If it is uncurving/unfolding what else could cause this besides a loss of energy or it being transferred to somewhere else?The expansion of the universe does not involve a loss of energy. It is a result of the initial conditions and the laws of physics governing the universe. There is no evidence or theory that suggests the energy is being transferred somewhere else.
evelknee
Is the expansion of the universe after the big bang just the the "uncurving" of space time from an inconceivable point? And if so, is the loss of energy that curved it that much the only thing that could allow it to "uncurve"? I hate to use the word loss of energy, but I'm not for sure where the energy that could curve the entire universe to a single point could go.

Also, can or has anyone calculated the energy it would take to curve the observable universe in on itself.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what the "uncurving" of spacetime means, nor do I understand the concept of an "inconceivable point" and then to end it off, I have no idea what "curving the universe in on itself" could mean. Can you elaborate on these? Your questions do not seem to make sense but that could well be because I don't understand your terminology.

I'm sure it is my lack of understanding and my inability to form coherent questions. I'll try to break it up.We have calculated how much mass it would take to create a black hole where space time is so curved light can't escape.

We have attempted to calculate how much energy it would take to fold space time and create worm holes, and hopefully one day travel to the stars.

Can/has anyone attempted to calculate how much energy it would take to fold or curve the entire observable universe in on itself?

Is expansion as described in the big bang theory the uncurving or unfolding of space time?

And finally, If it is uncurving/unfolding what else could cause this besides a loss of energy or it being transferred to somewhere else?

evelknee said:
We have calculated how much mass it would take to create a black hole where space time is so curved light can't escape.
There is no such amount of mass. A black hole can theoretically have any mass. The process forming a black hole is different, but there is no need for a black hole to have a particular mass.

evelknee said:
Can/has anyone attempted to calculate how much energy it would take to fold or curve the entire observable universe in on itself?
It is not clear what you mean by this or how you imagine that this would proceed.

evelknee said:
Is expansion as described in the big bang theory the uncurving or unfolding of space time?
No. It is expansion of space. It is unclear what you mean by uncurving or unfolding, but do realize that it is mainly space-time that is curved. From observations we know that the purely spatial part is essentially flat.

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a hot, dense singularity and has been expanding and cooling ever since. This theory is supported by evidence such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the observed redshift of distant galaxies.

2. How does the universe expand after the Big Bang?

According to the theory of cosmic inflation, the universe expanded exponentially in the first fraction of a second after the Big Bang. As the universe continued to expand, gravity caused matter to clump together and form galaxies and other structures. The expansion of the universe is currently accelerating, possibly due to the presence of dark energy.

3. What is energy loss in the context of the universe's expansion?

Energy loss refers to the gradual decrease in the total energy of the universe over time. This is due to the expansion of the universe, which causes the energy of individual particles and systems to spread out and become less concentrated. The exact rate of energy loss is still being studied and is a topic of debate among scientists.

4. Can the universe's expansion be reversed?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that the expansion of the universe can be reversed. In fact, the expansion is expected to continue indefinitely. However, some theories propose the possibility of a "big crunch" where the expansion could reverse and the universe would collapse back to a singularity.

5. How does uncurving the universe relate to the concept of time?

Uncurving the universe refers to the idea of reversing the expansion of the universe, essentially "uncurling" the curved fabric of space-time. This concept is closely related to the concept of time because the expansion of the universe and the passage of time are intrinsically linked. As the universe expands, the rate of time also changes, making it difficult to imagine a way to reverse the process without altering the fundamental nature of time itself.