Is Android dying?

• Thread starter haxtor21
  • Start date
Hello PF. I was wondering what you guys think about Android and its future? Is google keeping Android just to stay in the smartphone biz, and down the line replace it with ChromeOS?

Would it be worth to start learning the Android framework and start developing apps?

On a side note, are games on the iPhone built in Java?

Answers and Replies

Mech_Engineer
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Android is for a completely different application than Chrome OS, and will not be replaced by it.

Additionally, iPhone apps are written in Objective-C. Android is written in Java.

I think (actually I read in Spectrum some months ago) that one of the big problems is the lack of platform independence that cellphone makers are causing. Apple devs write in Objective C, and Android and BlackBerry in Java. Now I'm not sure what the market shares are, but I know that you can't get 90% of the market with one app.

Now I'm not sure what the market shares are, but I know that you can't get 90% of the market with one app.
I cant seem to understand this statement...

No matter what the app is written in, it will always be restricted to the platform for which it is designed. Ergo, you cannot capture 90% of the overall market share with one app.

no, but you can come close with a Windows app ;)

Android leaps past iPhone in U.S. shipments and market share
http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile...one-in-u-s-shipments-and-market-share-2010115

Yep. That sure looks like death. Not to the Android however.
Nope. And with AT&T's bottom of the heap performance as reported by Consumer Reports this month, a lot of people who were considering buying an iPhone are slamming on the brakes, saying, "You mean those lack of connectivity rumors were real?!!"

Don't get me wrong - the iPhone is still a neat piece of technology. It's that that Apple has long been overly-proprietary, and their adherence to that business model has hobbled their business performance.

I don't think Android will die for at least five years or so even though Google is releasing it's ChromeOS. They see right now that they need to get a large amount of the mobile market share just as they have with their market share when it comes to search. I think eventually ChromeOS will replace Android, but phones will have to be faster. Especially with the App Store for Chrome OS just released though it's pretty interesting.