1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is any iron a good core?

1. Feb 5, 2014 #1
    B = μ0nI
    Usually, the value of B is quite small...
    I'd like to boost the magnetic field B to a much larger and stronger field, and the most efficient way I find to do that is using a high permeability core B = ku0nI.
    What is the average μr of an iron core? They range from what value?
    Do all iron have the same relative permeability?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2014 #2
    + With the use of a high permeability ferromagnetic cores, it makes it more practical for electromagnets to have a magnetic field a Tesla and possibly higher?

4. Feb 5, 2014 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For most iron, mu changes drastically with I.
    It also depends on what you want the core to do. For an electromagnet or transformer you want B to go back to zero elastically when I goes to zero. For more permanent magnetism, you want a fat hysteresis loop.

5. Feb 5, 2014 #4
    Can you elaborate please on that(i.e example with values)?
    Are ur of ferromagnets based on I? or are they a constant value when I = 0 or I = x Amps?
    Is it true that their ur are over a 1000?

The rest I'm quite familiar with, as you are describing soft core(e.g iron low coercivity), and hard core's that are best when creating permanent magnets with(e.g neodymium low coercivity wider hysteresis area).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook