Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is anyone studying the idea of nothing?

1. Aug 30, 2009 #1
    I am not a student of science and as an uninformed simple-minded layperson; I have this TV mangled version of what is nothing. No-thing that is the lack of a thing, what is before the “Big-Bang”? A possible positive quality is that it is uniform although form implies something, I guess. No space/time treating it (space/time) as a thing intrigued me. I think of Infinity/Eternity in space/time, the way I understand it from popular science programs, as a space-time singularity where space/time is infinitely curving in on itself. Are there contradictions in this statement? Does this gravitational singularity lead to nothingness or an infinite something? Can space/time abruptly begin from nothing and continue infinitely. Alternatively, are my terms imprecise and confuse the whole…
    Talk about me being dense like a space-time singularity!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2009 #2
    A quick search through the Astronomy/Cosmology forums will lead you on your way to enlightenment, I'm sure of it.

4. Aug 30, 2009 #3
    Thanks, Sorry! I truly hope you are not...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook