Is Baby Rudin a good choice for first my Real Analysis textbook?

In summary: Yes. The only issue that I have with the book, like most Springer text, is a lack of problems. But the problems are interesting and some challenging. The section on open and closed sets is very user friendly too.I want to learn real analysis. I have completed two semesters of college calculus, but not "pure math" calculus which is taught to math students. I'm looking for introductory text on Real Analysis and I've heard that Baby Rudin is a classic. However I've heard that it is very dense and requires a good deal of pure math experience. Is this book a good choice for someone with my background, or should I look for other options, also, what other options could be recommended?
AlmX
Summary: Is Baby Rudin a good choice for first Real Analysis textbook for someone without strong pure math background?

I've completed 2 semesters of college calculus, but not "pure math" calculus which is taught to math students. I'm looking for introductory text on Real Analysis and I've heard that Baby Rudin is a classic. However I've heard that it is very dense and requires a good deal of pure math experience. Is this book a good choice for someone with my background, or should I look for other options, also, what other options could be recommended?

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you see in these college calculus classes? If you did not see ##\epsilon-\delta## proofs and those courses were only computational, don't even think about beginning Rudin. Without the proper background, Rudin will frustrate you until you give up and lose interest.

I recommend to begin with the book "Calculus" by Michael Spivak. Spivak trains you to think like a mathematician, and use intuition to guide you to a correct proof. After that, you can try Rudin but I think Apostol's "Mathematical analysis" is more gentle.

Likes vanhees71 and mathwonk
agree 100%

Math_QED said:
What did you see in these college calculus classes? If you did not see ##\epsilon-\delta## proofs and those courses were only computational, don't even think about beginning Rudin. Without the proper background, Rudin will frustrate you until you give up and lose interest.

I recommend to begin with the book "Calculus" by Michael Spivak. Spivak trains you to think like a mathematician, and use intuition to guide you to a correct proof. After that, you can try Rudin but I think Apostol's "Mathematical analysis" is more gentle.

You are right, those were courses without any proofs, just computational methods.

AlmX said:
You are right, those were courses without any proofs, just computational methods.

Then go with Spivak. He will gently transition you to proof based maths. This book will already be hard enough if it is your first encounter with proof-based mathematics.

Likes AlmX
If you want a middle ground between Spivak and Rudin, then Bartle and Sherbert's Introduction... is quite reader-friendly. It is not as much fun as Spivak, but it does the job in a systematic manner starting from foundations. It is also a proper first real analysis book.

Likes S.G. Janssens
I kinda disliked the formatting in Bartles book.
I learned Analysis from Abbott: Understanding Analysis. The book is really user friendly and explanations are concise. Bartle supplements Abbot well. I would get both!

Likes member 587159 and AlmX
MidgetDwarf said:
I kinda disliked the formatting in Bartles book.
I learned Analysis from Abbott: Understanding Analysis. The book is really user friendly and explanations are concise. Bartle supplements Abbot well. I would get both!

I did not read this book, but skimmed through it and it seems definitely a good book. I like that it uses sequences early on and if I remember correctly it also treats interesting stuff like the category theorem of Baire and some basic Fourier analysis.

Likes vanhees71
Math_QED said:
I did not read this book, but skimmed through it and it seems definitely a good book. I like that it uses sequences early on and if I remember correctly it also treats interesting stuff like the category theorem of Baire and some basic Fourier analysis.
Yes. The only issue that I have with the book, like most Springer text, is a lack of problems. But the problems are interesting and some challenging. The section on open and closed sets is very user friendly too.

Likes member 587159
What is your objective? What is your major? One year of calculus is not preparation for analysis.

1. Is Baby Rudin suitable for beginners in Real Analysis?

Yes, Baby Rudin is often considered a good choice for first time learners of Real Analysis. It provides a rigorous and comprehensive introduction to the subject, while also being accessible to those with little prior knowledge.

2. How does Baby Rudin compare to other Real Analysis textbooks?

Baby Rudin is known for its concise and clear writing style, as well as its challenging problem sets. It is often favored by students and instructors for its thorough coverage of key topics in Real Analysis.

3. Is Baby Rudin a good choice for self-study?

While having a strong background in mathematics is recommended, Baby Rudin can be a suitable textbook for self-study. It is well-organized and provides detailed explanations and examples, making it easier for self-learners to follow along.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using Baby Rudin as a first Real Analysis textbook?

Some students may find Baby Rudin's approach to be too rigorous and challenging, especially if they are new to the subject. It also does not cover some advanced topics that may be included in other textbooks.

5. How can I make the most out of using Baby Rudin as my Real Analysis textbook?

To fully benefit from using Baby Rudin, it is important to actively engage with the material and work through the problem sets. It is also helpful to supplement your learning with additional resources and seek guidance from a knowledgeable instructor or tutor.