1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is biology worth taking?

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    Hey everyone,

I'm currently a freshman in highschool and I'm taking Biology. I was wondering if taking the AP Biology next year would be a good idea. This would be on top of my two other science classes; Pre-AP Chem and Pre-AP Physics.

My current Biology classes is very easy. This is partially due to the fact that the teacher is awful. He gives us packets and has us just "figure" them out. We don't even have to do a single probelm on it and we automatically get a 100% on it. The test are very simple and require no knowledge of Biology. Just simple common sense. I have a solid A in Biology..

Would taking AP Biology be a good idea? The teacher would probably assume we've throughly learned the material needed as a prerequisite to AP Biology, which isn't the case.

My interest are in sciences, but not particulary in Biology, mainly Chemistry and Physics.

*Sorry for the horrid spelling and grammar. I wrote this whole thing and it suddenly just dissappeared...so I just kind of winged what I wrote above.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2012 #2
    I'd say it's certainly worth taking, as long as it isn't bumping something out of your schedule that you'd rather take. High school is about getting a broad base of knowledge. You never know when it might come in useful.

4. Apr 23, 2012 #3
    Definitely worth taking if it won't bog you down too much. I've never heard of pre-AP classes (my high school couldn't even get regular AP classes) but I'm assuming they cannot be too difficult. I wouldn't worry about the teacher expecting too much from your previous class. A majority of the students will be from the same biology class you're in so the teacher will have to conform to the students knowledge.
    A strong biology class in high school can be very helpful especially if you end up going into biology in college. If you choose the physical sciences, not only could you still be required to take college biology but there is many interesting application of the physical sciences in biology that could help solidify concepts learned in those classes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook