Is Bohmian Mechanics the Wrong Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, there is a debate over whether Bohmian mechanics is a valid interpretation of quantum mechanics. According to Lubos, it is wrong due to its non-locality, but others argue that there is not enough evidence to reject it completely. Some also criticize its compatibility with Lorentz invariance and classical physics. Ultimately, the validity of Bohmian mechanics remains a subjective and ongoing discussion.
joegibs
http://motls.blogspot.com/2014/05/measure-for-measure-debaters-love-to.html?m=1
According to lubos, bohmian mechanics is certainly wrong because "its basic classical object – the guiding wave – is in principle unobservable because a change of it should in principle impact things at a distance but it never does". Apparently this is because it is non local. Is this the same for all non local interpretations? Are all non local interpretations wrong?

Here is the video he is talking about
skip to 41:30 when Rudinger Shack is asked about bohmian mechanics

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
joegibs said:
http://motls.blogspot.com/2014/05/measure-for-measure-debaters-love-to.html?m=1
According to lubos, bohmian mechanics is certainly wrong because "its basic classical object – the guiding wave – is in principle unobservable because a change of it should in principle impact things at a distance but it never does". Apparently this is because it is non local. Is this the same for all non local interpretations? Are all non local interpretations wrong?

At this time, there is no fully convincing way to exclude Bohmian Mechanics. There are results that exclude certain classes of nonlocal interpretations, but Bohmian Mechanics is not a member of those classes.

Likes Demystifier
You don't need to ask Luboš, Bohmian Mechanics has its adversaries right here and a great defender, the Croatian physicist Hrvoje Nikolic. I would say there's not enough evidence to accept this theory as the right interpretation of Quantum Mechanics, nor refute it as the wrong one.

Likes Demystifier, durant35 and DrChinese
dextercioby said:
You don't need to ask Luboš, Bohmian Mechanics has its adversaries right here and a great defender, the Croatian physicist Hrvoje Nikolic. I would say there's not enough evidence to accept this theory as the right interpretation of Quantum Mechanics, nor refute it as the wrong one.
Hopefully he makes an appearance on this forum

Likes Demystifier
joegibs said:
Hopefully he makes an appearance on this forum
Paging @Demystifier ... :oldwink:

Likes Demystifier
Likes joegibs and Demystifier
The heart of the critique by Lubos Motl is towards the end of the first half of his blog entry (currently about at a quarter of the total page content):
Lubos Motl said:
in quantum field theory, the number of particles is variable – they may be pair-created and pair-annihilated – so it's clearly impossible that there exist specific classical positions of N particles. The number N isn't even well-defined. Moreover, two particles could never exactly hit each other and annihilate – the probability in classical physics for an exact hit is zero (which is still true even if there is some extra pilot wave affecting the classical particles' motion). Bohmists also fail to explain what happens with the "objectively real" pilot waves when the particle is measured or absorbed and how the initial state of the pilot wave is prepared. Their theory always inevitable contradicts the Lorentz invariance, prohibits one from choosing situation-dependent i.e. Hamiltonian-dependent bases that are relevant for different observations in different systems, and it just doesn't work at all. The Bohmian mechanics is just a sleight-of-hand meant to convince sloppy people that one doesn't need to abandon the pillars of classical physics – even though they have been clearly falsified.

Likes Ali Lavasani
I have nothing new to say which I haven't already said a 1000 times. :headbang:
I liked posts on this thread with which I agree.

Imho, the only good thing of Bohmian Mechanics (BM) is that it is superfluous. There's nothing observable different from minimally interpreted QT, and the extension of BM to relativistic QT (i.e., FAPP local microcausal relativistic QFTs underlying the Standard Model) at least problematic. I think, it's safe to simply ignore it ;-).

ShayanJ said:
There will be blood!
Not if I can lock the thread before the carnage gets out of hand... Mouseclick... Mouseclick... Sigh of relief- the world is saved!

If the question is whether Bohmian mechanics is wrong, it's hard to improve on DrChinese's answer above. Whether you like Bohmian mechanics, or consider it likely to be right... That's a different discussion, not one amenable to proof and resolution.

Likes joegibs

1. What is Bohmian mechanics and why is it controversial?

Bohmian mechanics is a theory of quantum mechanics that suggests particles have definite positions and trajectories, in contrast to the standard interpretation of quantum mechanics which states that particles do not have definite positions until they are measured. This theory is controversial because it challenges the widely accepted interpretation of quantum mechanics and raises questions about the nature of reality and determinism.

2. What evidence supports or refutes Bohmian mechanics?

There is no clear consensus among scientists on whether Bohmian mechanics is a valid theory. Some argue that it provides a more intuitive explanation for quantum phenomena and can reproduce the same results as the standard interpretation. Others argue that it is not necessary and adds unnecessary complexity to the theory of quantum mechanics.

3. Can Bohmian mechanics be tested and verified?

Some experiments have been proposed to test the predictions of Bohmian mechanics, such as the pilot-wave experiment, but these experiments have not yet been conducted. Furthermore, there is debate about whether these experiments would truly prove or disprove the validity of the theory.

4. What are the implications of Bohmian mechanics being correct?

If Bohmian mechanics is proven to be a correct theory, it would challenge our understanding of the fundamental nature of reality and the concept of free will. It would also have implications for the field of quantum computing and our ability to manipulate and control quantum particles.

5. Is there a consensus among scientists about the validity of Bohmian mechanics?

No, there is currently no consensus among scientists about the validity of Bohmian mechanics. It is a highly debated topic and there are valid arguments both for and against the theory. Further research and experimentation is needed to fully understand and verify the claims of Bohmian mechanics.