1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Bronze typically painted?

1. Jan 11, 2016 #1

rollingstein

Gold Member

Are bronze items typically painted? Or can they be painted?

I'm used to seeing native bronze in its native color in equipment but in one context someone sent me a Photo of a shipboard fire pump that is supposed to be bronze. Is this likely to be bronze? Of course, I'm looking at other more rigorous ways to check this claim but just as a first approximation what do people think?

0jPyp6b.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Six of one, and half dozen of the other.

4. Jan 11, 2016 #3

rollingstein

Gold Member

Ok, thanks. So to find a piece of equipment in bronze that has been painted over isn't unusual?

5. Jan 11, 2016 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Things are painted for various reasons. Sometimes, the paint furnishes a protective coating, to keep the material underneath from being degraded by exposure to the elements. Other times, as in the case of this fire pump, the paint and pigment serve to identify that out of the various pumps on this ship, this pump is part of the fire-fighting system, and you can determine this at a glance without having to trace the system manually or consulting a set of plans.

If you look around, you'll probably find that such items are painted in several different hues, each of which indicates to which piping system that item belongs.

6. Jan 11, 2016 #5

rollingstein

Gold Member

Understood! Thanks.

So, does "regular" paint work with bronze or are there a special class of paints for bronze?

7. Jan 11, 2016 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

AFAIK, bronze and "regular" paint, whatever that means, are compatible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook