Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is BSing an important skill?

1. Oct 4, 2005 #1

Mk

I find it difficult for me to BS my way through something, some of my friends do it with ease. It is an important skill in life no doubt, what are some tips guys? :!!)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Be repetative. Explain things that only need to be explained to 2nd graders.

4. Oct 4, 2005 #3

Mk

Oh here's an related quote:
    "At the top of the pile is bull****. Bull**** is powerful and often helpful...needed to get through a difficult situation. A grand lie."

5. Oct 4, 2005 #4
    try to bend the truth as much as you can before resorting to plain lies. you have some spinning left to do if you get cought with bent truth, with lies your dead in the water.

6. Oct 4, 2005 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

If you are talking out of your arse, the key is to not get too off the wall with it. You have to sound somewhat plausable or you'll get spotted right away. Watch a lot of CSPAN for pointers on how to BS.

7. Oct 4, 2005 #6
    I think you also need to have confidence and composure.

8. Oct 4, 2005 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I think it better to find something worthwhile to say, otherwise keep silent.

I don't BS, particularly when it comes to technical matters.

9. Oct 4, 2005 #8
    I am currently BSing my way through this paper for ethics on this topic-
    "a genuine commitment is not an inner experience to which only the agent in question is privy. Rather, commitment is part of who we are, it is reflected in how we behave. That is why an activity view of the self provides a better understanding of commitment (187).
    Using the next three sections of the reading (“Investment,” “Marriage,” and “Companion Friends”) please (a) discuss how the activity view of the self provides a better understanding of commitment. That is, what is revealed about the nature of commitment using an activity view of the self? (Note that responding to this question will necessarily entail including a working conceptual definition of the activity view of the self and then relating it to the idea of commitment. The end of chapter four may be helpful here.) Following, please (b) choose a relationship from your own life to illustrate the validity or the invalidity of the connection claimed by LaFollette in (a) above. Is/was there a healthy, committed relationship in your life that is accurately explained by the activity view of the self? Why/not? How/not?"

10. Oct 4, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's much easier to BS an answer to a question that's pretty much all BS. Otherwise, I think only those who are a bit ethically-challenged will BS an answer to a serious question requiring a real answer. It's more diplomatic and wiser to learn the fine arts of avoiding the question and changing the topic.

11. Oct 4, 2005 #10
    1, Be confident.
    2, Stay calm.
    3, Never venture too far away from the truth.
    4, If you get caught out, say thats what someone told you.

12. Oct 4, 2005 #11
    The best lies are based entirely on truth. Golden Rule for beginners right there. If they already know one of your premises are true, they'll be far more likely to believe the rest of your argument.

Once you get good it's often more effective to avoid the truth altogether, but that takes skill. Get some practice first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?