Is Bush's blatant idiocy concerning to Republicans?

• News
  • Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
In summary, Bush's intelligence is questioned by many because of his lack of understanding of world events.
wasteofo2
I'm not trying to talk about politics much here, but Bush's actual intelligence.

I've been in many conversations with Republicans who've asked me why I don't like Bush. Generally, the first thing that comes out of my mouth is something to the effect of "First of all, he's a complete moron." They UNIFORMLY take this as a completely unacceptable reason to dislike a president. I, of course, have policy reasons I dislike Bush for, but the President of the USA should not be a moron, and disliking him for the fact that he hardly speaks English, and really has no ****ing clue what's going on should be totally legitimate.

So to the Republicans, or Bush fans in general, do you find it concerning that he really has no clue?

Just today in a speech, Bush asserted that "When the new Iraqi government takes office next year, Iraqis will have the only constitutional democracy in the Arab world..."

I'm 17 years old. I knew instantly that was BS. Turkey and Lebanon both have constitutional democracies. Remember when Syria supposedly assasinated the popular Lebanese Prime Minister? Did you hear that they supposedly killed another outspoken critic of Syria just today or yesterday? Those were democratically elected, popular MP's.

Taken from the CIA World Factbook.

Lebanon:
Government type:
republic
Constitution:
23 May 1926; amended a number of times, most recently Charter of Lebanese National Reconciliation (Ta'if Accord) of October 1989
Suffrage:
21 years of age; compulsory for all males; authorized for women at age 21 with elementary education
Legislative branch:
unicameral National Assembly
elections: last held in four rounds on 29 May, 5, 12, 19 June 2005

Turkey:
Government type:
republican parliamentary democracy
Constitution:
7 November 1982
Suffrage:
18 years of age; universal
Legislative branch:
unicameral Grand National Assembly of Turkey or Turkiye Buyuk Millet Meclisi (550 seats; members are elected by popular vote to serve five-year terms)
elections:
last held 3 November 2002

Isn't it really just disconcerting that day after day, consistantly, he's shown to simply be stupid?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wasteofo2 said:
I'm 17 years old. I knew instantly that was BS.

The politicians are just using standard methods of spin and rhetoric... which is just a euphemism for occasionally flat-out lying to us at times. Its kind of like marketing, where we are lied to every day that we need these products and such. It just annoys me that even basic facts at times can be turned into a complete lie and people can get away with it.

Sometimes it can even be contagious. Remember when Iraq was tied to Al Qaeda and 9/11 for some reason? Heck, even now when I think of the concept it is difficult to get that misinformation out of my mind (ie I think it is true too just because it has been repeated so much).

motai said:
It just annoys me that even basic facts at times can be turned into a complete lie and people can get away with it.
Sometimes it can even be contagious. Remember when Iraq was tied to Al Qaeda and 9/11 for some reason? Heck, even now when I think of the concept it is difficult to get that misinformation out of my mind (ie I think it is true too just because it has been repeated so much).

That's straight outta 1984, just like so much other stuff outta this administration.

I think Congress should pass a constitutional ammendment making it illegal for the government to do anything resembling any incarnation of Ingsoc. They could call it the "War is war, ignorance is ignorance, slavery is slavery," ammendment.

Well, technically, Turkey is not an Arabic country, although Syria and Lebanon are Arabic. The Turkish people originated from Central Asia.

Syria has a minority Assyrian population, who would not be considered Arabic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyrian_people (this article is not considered necessarily neutral).

This might also help - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_world
http://www.middleeastnews.com/ArabLeague.html

However, while the Iraqis do have somewhat of a Constitution, there are underlying structural problems, and the resulting government may not be democratic at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
wasteofo2 said:
I'm not trying to talk about politics much here, but Bush's actual intelligence.
Yes it is,your saying that a poltican is an Idoit because of his polices it's potical disscuison
wasteofo2 said:
Taken from the CIA World Factbook.
You do realize that there were ones who had the very reilble information about there WMD's in Irag(or bush got them to think there where WMD there)Which makes a very reilble source infromation for Anti-bush arguments:approve:

Sadly the people who support him are numerous, and just as ignorant. For example, they do not feel he is patronizing them when explaining the high price he said that the oil refineries in the gulf were damaged by Katrina, he explained that "refineries are the factories were gasoline is made", as if the people he was talking to did not know what an oil refinery was for.

And then there was this statement.

"There's a lot of people in the world who don't believe that people whose skin color may not be the same as ours can be free and self-govern," Bush said in response to a question about the poor progress of the occupation of Iraq. "I reject that. I reject that strongly. I believe that people who practice the Muslim faith can self-govern. I believe that people whose skins aren't necessarily -- are a different color than white can self-govern."

They have been self governing since the dawn of civilization, since the Tigress Euphrates valley is widely believed to be the cradle of civilization I guess I would tend to agree with him.

There are hundreds of examples, and I agree that he is a moron and an embarrassment to America. Currently he is doing the only thing he has ever done well, campaigning. He is good at selling, and enough Americans are stupid enough to buy his snake oil.

Most Republicans on this forum, being more intelligent and better educated than the average Bush supporter are not big fans of the 'president'. It might be interesting to do a poll to find out how many conservatives on this forum do support Bush and think he is doing a good job.

Isn't Bush representative of the prevailing intellectual status of 'America'? By 'God' he was 'reelected' (even if he wasn't the first time)?

scott1 said:
Yes it is,your saying that a poltican is an Idoit because of his polices it's potical disscuison
No. I'm just saying he's an idiot. Not because of his policies, but because of his brain.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/multimedia/foolbush.mov

That, for instance. He's just stupid. I'm sure the alcoholism and cocaine abuse didn't help him any.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Well, technically, Turkey is not an Arabic country, although Syria and Lebanon are Arabic. The Turkish people originated from Central Asia.

Actually this is a good example of Bush spin. Most people in this country think of Islamic and Arabic as being the same. Thus he can say that Iraq will be the only democracy in the Arabic world and get away with it.

Hmm for that matter most people in this country can't find Iraq on an unlabled map. Bush is probably one of them.:wink:

OOPS my bad. That geography survey only included 18 to 24 year olds. The survey is located in the link below.

http://geosurvey.nationalgeographic.com/geosurvey/

Astronuc said:
OK, fine, so Turkey isn't arabic either, but Lebanon has a democracy damnit! Syria isn't really legitimately Democratic, as 1/2 of their parliament is granted to the Ba'ath party. That and the whole "military dictatorship" thing.

I think that the most of our recent presidents have been morons personally, the only difference being their charisma and public speaking skills. Most people seem to think that Clinton was rather intelligent... I haven't seen this. I've actually seen the oposite.

edit:

Imagine listening to Clinton adress Californians about the Recall election. He said "You have a budget, you have education," ect (I'm working from memory here) and the fact that Gray Davis ****ed all these things up are the very reason why there was a recall election in the first place.
He further stated that the recall election was unfair and unconstitutional.
I ask; How is firing someone from their job for screwing up royally unfair? and How is something that is specifically provided for in the CA state constitution UNconstitutional!
How is this man supposed to be considered intelligent?!

Last edited:
TheStatutoryApe said:
I think that the most of our recent presidents have been morons personally, the only difference being their charisma and public speaking skills. Most people seem to think that Clinton was rather intelligent... I haven't seen this. I've actually seen the oposite.
What examples do you have of Clinton and Bush Sr. being morons? I mean, I didn't particularly like Bush Sr.'s presidency, but he didn't seem stupid to me... They lied and stuff, but I've not really seen any evidence of Clinton being stupid. Maybe a bad liar, maybe having "stupid" judgement in how he lied, but not a straight up moron.

Then agian, I was rather young at the time, and I didn't see Bush Sr. and Clinton on TV all the time like I see Bush now. I still get the impression from history, however, that Bush's VP was quite stupid. Dan Quayle, I believe the man was named. He said something about a potatoe once. And something else about president/general "Stonewall" Jackson/Mark Twain.

Last edited:
You probably missed my edit before posting.
About Daddy Bush, I don't have any examples. That was really quite a while before I started to care about politics, I was in grade school at the time. I don't remember ever being under the impression that he was very bright though the fact that he was in the CIA gives him a bit of credit.

wasteofo2 said:
No. I'm just saying he's an idiot. Not because of his policies, but because of his brain.
http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/multimedia/foolbush.mov
That, for instance. He's just stupid. I'm sure the alcoholism and cocaine abuse didn't help him any.
But your using his policies as evedince that his brain makes an idoit.He's the president whatever your going to say about is potical even if his I.Q. -1,000,00000,000,000,0000.104
Your also using a site about poticalHumuor for evidence that he's an idoit

I've always been registered Independent, but tended to vote Republican until Bush Sr. He was not a moron (even with the "read my lips" kind of faux pas), but he was out-of-touch. Dubya is out-of-touch and a moron who confuses Sweden with Switzerland. He’s also a cocky one—the worst kind. To say that Clinton or any other prior president is just as bad is denial or a major memory lapse.

Devout Bush supporters will support and defend him no matter what. There are more of these folks than admit.

wasteofo2 said:
I
So to the Republicans, or Bush fans in general, do you find it concerning that he really has no clue?

This is indeed the general impression he leaves, here in Europe. Of course, everybody makes jokes about politicians (their own, and others'), how misguided, delusional, corrupt, without courage... they all are, but the label "profoundly stupid" did stick to Bush Jr. over here as to no other. The only one that, to my memory, had a similar label, was yet another US president (which seems - to my surprise - to have a rather good image over there: namely Ronald Reagan ; but I think that if you ask people, Bush Jr. beats Reagan by an order of magnitude). Now, before I'm accused of saying that we think that all American presidents are morons, that's certainly not true: Carter, Bush Sr, Clinton certainly did NOT have that image, at all. Nor did, say, Tatcher, Mayor, Helmut Kohl, Mitterand, Aznar, Breznev, Gorbachev, Yeltsin, Putin, Schroeder, ...
One could think of their policies as good or bad, their reputations as clean or corrupt, them being courageous or weak or whatever, but I never recalled any of them being considered as a totally stupid moron. Hey, even Berlusconi is not considered a moron. A powerful, dangerous weirdo, yes, but not a moron. This is an image that really sticks to Bush Jr.

scott1 said:
But your using his policies as evedince that his brain makes an idoit.He's the president whatever your going to say about is potical even if his I.Q. -1,000,00000,000,000,0000.104
Your also using a site about poticalHumuor for evidence that he's an idoit
Just because the video came from a political humor site, it doesn't mean that it isn't legitimate. (With the exception of the laugh track added to the background, that video accurately depicts what occurred.) He couldn't even get his cliches correct. He may as well have said, "Make like a tree and get outta here."

The Turkish people originated from Central Asia.

Not all of them.. turkey is in Asia Minor. Many Turks are from the meditarianian area, and from Arabic areas...

Skyhunter said:
Most Republicans on this forum, being more intelligent and better educated than the average Bush supporter are not big fans of the 'president'. It might be interesting to do a poll to find out how many conservatives on this forum do support Bush and think he is doing a good job.
Unfortunately many fall for it. One senior person on this forum tried to claim the US introduced democracy to europe after WW2 and sadly he actually believed it.

scott1 said:
You do realize that there were ones who had the very reilble information about there WMD's in Irag(or bush got them to think there where WMD there)Which makes a very reilble source infromation for Anti-bush arguments:approve:

The CIA did not willingly give Bush that information, it was pulled from raw data by the Cheney-Rumsfeld kabal, and then the CIA higher ups packaged it and gave it to Bush. All the analysts were against everything in the report.

Anttech said:
Not all of them.. turkey is in Asia Minor. Many Turks are from the meditarianian area, and from Arabic areas...

Turkman, the ethnic group that the majority in Turkey is from, originated in central asia and then invaded the west, building the Ottoman Empire along the way.

Art said:
Unfortunately many fall for it. One senior person on this forum tried to claim the US introduced democracy to europe after WW2 and sadly he actually believed it.

yeah.. we civilized those barbaric french...

Turkman, the ethnic group that the majority in Turkey is from, originated in central asia and then invaded the west, building the Ottoman Empire along the way.

Actually the "Turkman's" or what the plural is invaded central Asia there weren't from there orignally... They are from Asia Minor.. Central Asia is way more east

Thanks ComputerGeek,
ComputerGeek

Originally Posted by scott1
You do realize that there were ones who had the very reilble information about there WMD's in Irag(or bush got them to think there where WMD there)Which makes a very reilble source infromation for Anti-bush arguments

The CIA did not willingly give Bush that information, it was pulled from raw data by the Cheney-Rumsfeld kabal, and then the CIA higher ups packaged it and gave it to Bush. All the analysts were against everything in the report

I was going to mention the same thing. Cheney and Bush also wanted to cause a sense of panic... to have the general public think irrationally by talking about (to paraphrase) "...we don't want to find out how far along Saddams' WMD program is by seeing a Mushroom Cloud over some US city..."

People tend to panic at the mention of Mushroom Cloud or Nuke, most don't take the time to take a breath and remember... Even if Iraq had a Nuke (or Bio-WMD), they did not have a delivery system, ie, A missile with the range to carry it to the US nor did they have viable transport for such a thing.

Today other individual(s) that have it in for this country are likely capable of building the so called 'Dirty Bomb' which was hyped up here in NY for a while, they may even have the suitcase sized nuke(s) that I read the former USSR lost several of.

And as many times as we have had 'heightened' threat alerts and then the alerts were downgraded many people have probably grown apathetic. Kinda like 'Chicken Little' or the 'Boy who cried wolf', I am usually at a peak of alertness when I come into the city to go to my college but when I go home to the 'burbs I relax. Why? because I realize these 'Terrorists' want to hurt our country by targeting primarily the infrastructure of the US, financial institutions, government buildings and such, if I get caught in a blast or shootout its because I would just be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I think all of the recent presidents with the exception of Bush 43 have been very intelligent ... even Reagan and Jerry Ford (I think Reagan was physically beyond his best years even when first elected, but I think he was still capable of making good decisions - at least if he didn't fall asleep)

More disconcerting than intelligence level is the lack of self-discipline displayed by both Clinton and Bush. For most of their life (and extending into their presidency in Clinton's case), both caved into whatever urge tugged on them at the time. I don't see how anyone could trust someone to be president when their only concern for their entire life has been to achieve some kind of trivial comfort (or to at least avoid discomfort, when you consider how both deftly avoided any real military service).

Hard to say whether or not Bush has at least the potential to process information. He's been so committed to avoiding work his whole life, he hasn't accumulated any knowledge, even if he has the capability.

I'm wondering if this is a true observation? I noticed most if not all men who served in as President grayed(hair) by the time they left the office. What I mean is they had color in their hair when they took office but by the time they finished their hair was almost or completely white/silver/gray. As a measure of the stress of the job, it is indicative of someone I would presume to be hard working and involved in the responsibilities of that job. However, and I could be mistaken, The current Prez doesn't appear to have grayed much, has anyone else noticed if he has actually grayed? Of course, he could be using 'Grecian Formula'. LOL, still I don't feel he is the one doing the job or making the decisions or comtemplating the consequences of particular actions. Again, I could be wrong.
Getting BOT i think the Republicans are very concerned :cry: :frown: :eek: :uhh: :grumpy: or more like the preceding emoticons.

Reagan was famous for being "prematurely orange".

Amp1 said:
I'm wondering if this is a true observation? I noticed most if not all men who served in as President grayed(hair) by the time they left the office. What I mean is they had color in their hair when they took office but by the time they finished their hair was almost or completely white/silver/gray.
:rolleyes:
I've heard this ascertation before; that the Presidency is so stressful that it ages people rapidly, but I don't buy it.

Most presidents are in their 50's or 60's when they're elected. If you watch any 50 or 60 year old age 4 or 8 years, they'll develop a lot more grey hair then they did at the beginning of the 4 or 8 year's time. Hell, look at a picture of yourself from december of 1997 and compare it to you now, you'll probabally see that you look quite a bit different than you do now.

BobG said:
Hard to say whether or not Bush has at least the potential to process information. He's been so committed to avoiding work his whole life, he hasn't accumulated any knowledge, even if he has the capability.
If my parents are any example, then I say the Republican/Christian base that Bush caters to is not concerned, and remain devoted (like cult followers under a spell). It's hard to understand, since their generation still had the pioneer work ethic and can remember the depression. My mother will tune out conversations about global warming or outsourcing. But she sure is pleased that Bush referred to the Christmas Tree as a Christmas Tree--like what else is it called, and how could this possibly be more important than things like global warming and outsourcing? :eek:

wasteofo2 said:
:rolleyes:
I've heard this ascertation before; that the Presidency is so stressful that it ages people rapidly, but I don't buy it.

Most presidents are in their 50's or 60's when they're elected. If you watch any 50 or 60 year old age 4 or 8 years, they'll develop a lot more grey hair then they did at the beginning of the 4 or 8 year's time. Hell, look at a picture of yourself from december of 1997 and compare it to you now, you'll probabally see that you look quite a bit different than you do now.

Good -

Russ Watters for PRESIDENT - 2028 :wink:

Think about it!

1. Is Bush's idiocy a reflection of the entire Republican party?

No, Bush's actions and behavior do not represent the entire Republican party. Every individual has their own beliefs and values, and it is unfair to generalize an entire political party based on one person.

2. How has Bush's idiocy affected the Republican party's reputation?

Bush's actions have certainly caused some negative perception of the Republican party. However, it is important to remember that one person does not define a whole party. Many Republicans have distanced themselves from Bush and his decisions.

3. Is there any scientific evidence to support the claim that Bush is an idiot?

As a scientist, I cannot make a definitive statement about an individual's intelligence without conducting a thorough evaluation. However, there have been many instances where Bush's actions and statements have been deemed questionable or lacking in knowledge.

4. How have other Republican leaders responded to Bush's idiocy?

Many Republican leaders have publicly disagreed with Bush's decisions and statements. Some have even distanced themselves from him in order to maintain their own reputation and credibility.

5. Is Bush's idiocy concerning to all Republicans?

No, not all Republicans view Bush as an idiot. There are still many who support him and his actions. However, it is fair to say that his actions have caused some concern and criticism within the party.