Is 'C' a mono-atomic molecule?

• Thread starter HCverma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecule
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of mono-atomic molecules, specifically focusing on the element carbon (C). It is clarified that C is an element made up of atoms, and while atoms can form crystals, they are generally referred to as mono-atomic molecules. Therefore, C cannot be considered a molecule in the traditional sense.
HCverma
Is C a mono-atomic molecule? As I know molecules made of two or more than two atoms such as O2, N2, HCl etc but what's about carbon? like below
C + O2 = CO2
Could you please explain the matter so that I can understand the concept well?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
C is an element and it comes as atoms. Like Fe and others the atoms can form a crystal e.g. diamond.

Mono-atomic molecules are generally called 'atoms' so it's no wonder you expect two or more atoms in a molecule.

BvU said:
C is an element and it comes as atoms. Like Fe and others the atoms can form a crystal e.g. diamond.

Mono-atomic molecules are generally called 'atoms' so it's no wonder you expect two or more atoms in a molecule.
So, can't I call 'C' a molecule?

HCverma said:
So, can't I call 'C' a molecule?
Right!

1. Is 'C' a mono-atomic molecule?

Yes, 'C' refers to the element carbon, which is a mono-atomic molecule. It exists as a single atom and does not form bonds with other atoms.

2. How is a mono-atomic molecule different from a diatomic molecule?

A mono-atomic molecule consists of only one atom, while a diatomic molecule contains two atoms of the same element bonded together. Examples of diatomic molecules include H2, O2, and N2.

3. Can carbon form into a diatomic molecule?

Yes, under certain conditions, carbon can form into a diatomic molecule called carbon monoxide (CO). This occurs when carbon is bonded with oxygen.

4. Is carbon always found in its mono-atomic form?

No, carbon can also exist in different forms such as graphite and diamond, which are made up of multiple carbon atoms bonded together in a regular pattern.

5. Why is it important to know if 'C' is a mono-atomic molecule?

Understanding the molecular structure of elements is crucial in fields such as chemistry and materials science. Knowing that 'C' is a mono-atomic molecule helps us better understand its properties and how it interacts with other elements in various chemical reactions.