Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is C bigger than R?

1. Jan 4, 2009 #1
    Is it true that the set of complex number is bigger than the set of real numbers?

I know that card C = card (R x R) and I think that card (R x R) > card R. Is this true, and if so, why?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2009 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

I think card (RxR) = card R

I would show this by setting up a one-to-one map between RxR and R

I will just show you a one-to-one between the unit square [0,1]x[0,1] and the unit interval [0,1]
    You just look at the two decimal expansions and merge

(0.abcdefg...., 0.mnopqrs....) -> 0.ambncodpeq.......

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  4. Jan 4, 2009 #3
    C is with cardinality c, or aleph if you want, the same as R.

The simple bijection is a+ib |-> (a,b) into RxR.

If you want a bijection from C to R, then z=x+iy|->Im(z)/Re(z) it's a bijection to [-infinity,infinity] which is RU{infininity,-infinity} this cardinality is aleph+2=aleph.

QED

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  5. Jan 4, 2009 #4
    How could that possibly be a bijection? Obviously, [tex]z_1=a+ib[/tex] is mapped to the same point as [tex]z_2=a z_1[/tex], so it is not an injection.

Marcus has already provided a valid bijection, his "decimal merging" is the classical example of this. Notice how it is also valid in [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex].

6. Jan 4, 2009 #5
    Correct Big-T, but at least it's onto.
    (-:

7. Jan 7, 2009 #6
    |C| = |R2| = |R|.

There's some discussion about that in this thread.

Minor point: marcus's function isn't even well-defined; consider decimal expansions with infinite trailing "9"s. (For example, 0.0999... = 0.1000..., but (0.0999..., 0.0000...) maps to 0.00909090..., and (0.1000..., 0.0000) maps to 0.10000000... .) However, the mapping from 0.abcdefgh... to (0.acef..., 0.bdfh...) is a well-defined surjection from [0, 1) to [0, 1)2, and that's all you need.

8. Jan 7, 2009 #7
    Marcus' function would be well defined if we agreed to use trailing nines wherever the decimal expansion is terminating, this should of course have been specified.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?