How can I prepare for Calculus II during break after finishing Calculus I?

In summary: I would definitely recommend reviewing your Calculus I material before you start Calculus II. Doing so will make the transition a lot smoother. There's also a website called justmathtutoring.com that offers Calculus content videos from pre-calc through calc II. This can be a great resource to have on hand as you work through the material.In summary, if you have a solid pre-Calculus foundation, and you can work through a few examples from your Calculus I textbook, you should be able to breeze through Calculus II. Hope this helps.
othic
I just finished up Calculus I and I have heard Calc II is a harder class, so I was looking to try and get a head start during the break before I start next semester. What do you guys recommend: trying to read ahead and start on my own, or just reviewing and practicing what I have already learned? I hope this the appropriate section, and thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not do both?

Read http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/CalcII.aspx" for your Calc 2 interests

Last edited by a moderator:
othic said:
I just finished up Calculus I and I have heard Calc II is a harder class, so I was looking to try and get a head start during the break before I start next semester. What do you guys recommend: trying to read ahead and start on my own, or just reviewing and practicing what I have already learned? I hope this the appropriate section, and thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice!

i recommend you start early because there might be some sections that will require more time than the others, so if you start early you'll have extra time if you get stuck.

Try Professor Paul's Online notes which is available to anyone ,this is his website
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/CalcII.aspx

there is a link to download his book , and there is no more crystal clear than his book in calculus 1 ,2 or 3 , read his notes

EDIT : the credit for the link provided goes to djeitnstine because he posted it 4 minutes before me also because he types faster than me :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. mathman the only reason I asked is because I have heard a few people say that most students that self teach don't really grasp concepts, or something along those lines. So if that was true, I was going to just review. I have already been using that professor's notes for Calc I :smile: Should that be sufficient along with practice problems from the book? Thanks again!

What does this calc 2 involve? Most calc 2 classed have significant computational aspects. Become a robot at performing such rotine computations. This way you can focus next of a conceptual and theoretical understanding.

It's the second half of our calculus book so:
-Applications of Integration
-Integration Techniques, L'Hopital's Rule and Improper Integrals
-Infinite Series
-Conics, Parametric Equations and Polar Coordinates
-Vectors and Geometry of Space

Go over the 2nd half of your CALC II book. . and you could also use justmathtutoring.com . There are Calculus content videos from Calc. I through Calc. II. . They really help by offering examples and how to work through them

Hello Othic,

I was just in your same situation at the start of this last semester, from my personal experience I went through a ton of Integrals and Trig the summer before I took Calculus II. That helped tremendously. If you have Calc I (Limits, Derivatives and Integrals) and Trig (solving equations, graphs and identities) down solid, you should do fine if your algebra is on good foundation. I saw a fair amount of logarithmic functions as well (Integrating natural log and e^x functions).

Our class followed:
-Volumes of Revolution (Integrals mostly)
-Techniques to deal with more sophisticated Integrals including applications (know your trig derivatives/integrals)
-Some Differential Equations (need Integrals and Derivatives here)
-Parametrics (may have seen a few in trig?)
-Polar Coordinates (knowing your trig here is helpful along with Integration)
-Conics (maybe you saw some in pre-calc?)
-Series (Limits and a few Integrals)

I read here that what's tricky about Calculus II is that the new material as you progress isn't related to each other as much as Calculus I was, which I found was an accurate description. So having a solid background will take care of that. You'll learn also more intuitive approaches to problems as well. This is just what helped me personally, so it may be different to you. In each section though, you're bound to see your fair share of Integrals.

1. Is Calc 2 harder than Calc 1?

It is a common question among students who are taking calculus courses. The answer is subjective and can vary from person to person. Some may find Calc 2 to be more difficult because it builds upon the concepts learned in Calc 1, while others may find it easier because they have already developed a strong foundation in calculus.

2. What are the main differences between Calc 1 and Calc 2?

Calc 2 typically covers topics such as integration techniques, series and sequences, and applications of integration, while Calc 1 focuses on differentiation, limits, and applications of derivatives. Calc 2 also tends to involve more complex and abstract concepts compared to Calc 1.

3. Do I need to have a strong understanding of Calc 1 to do well in Calc 2?

While it is helpful to have a solid understanding of the concepts learned in Calc 1, it is not necessarily a requirement for success in Calc 2. However, it is important to review and reinforce your knowledge of Calc 1 before moving on to Calc 2, as the latter builds upon the former.

4. Can I skip Calc 1 and go straight to Calc 2?

It is not recommended to skip Calc 1 and go straight to Calc 2, as the concepts and skills learned in Calc 1 are essential for understanding Calc 2. It is important to have a strong foundation in calculus before moving on to more advanced topics.

5. How can I succeed in Calc 2?

Success in Calc 2 requires dedication, practice, and a solid understanding of the concepts. It is important to attend lectures, actively participate in class, and seek help from your instructor or classmates when needed. Consistently practicing problems and reviewing material can also greatly improve your understanding and performance in Calc 2.