Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is cloth a solid or a liquid?

1. Jul 8, 2004 #1
    Well? Is something like a shirt considered a solid, even though it can easily take the shape of it's container?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2004 #2

Janitor

Science Advisor

My instincts say 'solid.' Thin gold leaf is likewise very flexible, but also solid in my book.

4. Jul 9, 2004 #3
    Think of it this way, if you try to cram a shirt, or any material, in a container there will still be air pockets, thus not complete conformity. Also, the molecules of cloth are locked and cannot freely move about and slide past each other. Vote: Solid

5. Jul 9, 2004 #4
    Solid!

A liquid is free flowing.

Here's a brain buster:

Smoke, a solid, or liquid, or gas?

OUUU. This one is rather interesting!

6. Jul 9, 2004 #5
    Well I vote a complex malleable porous solid.

7. Jul 9, 2004 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cloth is most definitely solid.

Smoke is primarily composed of micron sized carbon particles - these are solid.

8. Jul 9, 2004 #7

Njorl

Science Advisor

Smoke is solid. It is tiny solid particles suspended in air.

I suppose there could be liquid smoke - a by-product of combustion that takes the form of tiny liquid droplets suspended in air, but I am not familiar with anything that would produce it.

Gasses could never be considered smoke, since all gasses are infinitely miscible.

Njorl

9. Jul 9, 2004 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

More precisely smoke is a colloid: mixture of solid and gas or liquid and gas, basically a mixture of components in different phases.

Example of liquid smoke: steam coming out of the tea cooker :tongue2: basically a mist (mist is a colloid).

10. Jul 11, 2004 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Addressing the original question, the ability to take the shape of the container is a poor way to characterize the state of matter. The distinction is made on the basis of inter-atomic/inter-molecular interactions. The strength of these interactions is manifest in macroscopic properties such as viscosity.

11. Jul 11, 2004 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What happens if the container is bigger than the shirt.. it won't take take the shape of the container..

12. Jul 12, 2004 #11
    Hydrogen in oxygen?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?