Instantaneous Curvature in Mass Warp Spacetime?

• Thread starter TimeRip496
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curvature
In summary, the conversation discusses the speed at which changes in gravity propagate and whether or not those changes can be felt before the emitted radiation reaches an observer. It is concluded that changes in gravity do propagate at the speed of light, and that the observer will start to feel the effects of the change when the emitted radiation reaches them. This phenomenon is related to general relativity and the Einstein field equation.
TimeRip496
Assuming a mass warp spacetime such that the curvature of spacetime extend one light year away from that object. If I am standing at 1 light year away from the object and the object start losing mass by emitting light, will you feel the change in the curvature first before the radiation reach you after 1 year or feel the change in curvature instantly the emitted radiation reach you?

My apologies for such qns as I am not smart at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Changes in gravity propagate at c, just as does light, BUT your question is more complex than that because to a body far away from an object there IS no change in the center of mass of the object, as far as the distant body is concerned, as photons or mass leave an object.

SO ... I assume your question is really just "do changes in gravity propagate at c?" and they answer to that is yes.

To the question "do you start to feel the change at the same time the first emitted radiation hits you", I would think the answer is "Yes" :

Until then the star+emitted light lies in a spherical region outside of which you are, so as phinds said nothing changes. After that you are inside the expanding sphere and the gravity you feel (i.e. the curvature) changes.

This effect might be quite tiny - after all losing mass through radiation is what stars do for a living : ) but if we're talking say a supernova explosion, then I expect it might be noticeable, provided the gravity from the star is itself noticeable 1ly away.

Last edited:
phinds said:
Changes in gravity propagate at c, just as does light, BUT your question is more complex than that because to a body far away from an object there IS no change in the center of mass of the object, as far as the distant body is concerned, as photons or mass leave an object.

SO ... I assume your question is really just "do changes in gravity propagate at c?" and they answer to that is yes.

When you say "more complex" and refer to the center of mass... are you hedging a little bit, perhaps obliquely, about how gravity does not show aberration due to relative movement the way that light does?

A lot of questions about the speed of gravity come from wondering about presumed propagation delay effects on orbit stability.

bahamagreen said:
how gravity does not show aberration due to relative movement the way that light does?
Light is a propagating disturbance of the EM-field, comparable to gravitational waves. Gravity itself is comparable to the Coulomb force, which doesn't show the aberration that light shows.

phinds said:

Why? Is the speed of light by gravity shown by general relativity or einstein field equation? If so, can you tell me?

TimeRip496 said:
Why? Is the speed of light by gravity shown by general relativity or einstein field equation? If so, can you tell me?
I don't know what the specific math is that shows that gravity changes propagate at c, but there are lots of posts on this forum discussing it so a forum search will turn something up.

By the way, I slightly misspoke when I said that there is no change in the center of mass of a radiating object as far as a distant observer is concerned. I should have added "until the radiation begins to pass the remote observer" (at which point the COM actually STILL hasn't changed, assuming equal radiation in all directions, but the effects on that observer will start to change).

EDIT: I see that wabbit's post already covered this correction.

Last edited:
bahamagreen said:
When you say "more complex" and refer to the center of mass... are you hedging a little bit, perhaps obliquely, about how gravity does not show aberration due to relative movement the way that light does?

/QUOTE]
No, I was referring to the correction I made in my more recent post (and that was explained also by wabbit, which I didn't notice until after my recent post).

A.T. said:
Light is a propagating disturbance of the EM-field, comparable to gravitational waves. Gravity itself is comparable to the Coulomb force, which doesn't show the aberration that light shows.
Right, which is why I said "changes in gravity propagate ... " (AT, I'm pointing this out as additional info for TimeRip, more than as a response to your correct statement).

1. What is instantaneous curvature in mass warp spacetime?

Instantaneous curvature in mass warp spacetime is a concept in theoretical physics that describes the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of massive objects. It is a result of Einstein's theory of general relativity and explains how the force of gravity works.

2. How is instantaneous curvature in mass warp spacetime measured?

Instantaneous curvature in mass warp spacetime is measured using mathematical equations derived from Einstein's theory of general relativity. It is also observed through the effects of gravity on objects in space, such as the bending of light and the orbits of planets around stars.

3. Can instantaneous curvature in mass warp spacetime be manipulated?

As a theoretical concept, instantaneous curvature in mass warp spacetime cannot be directly manipulated. However, the effects of gravity on spacetime can be manipulated through the use of massive objects, such as in the case of artificial satellites orbiting Earth.

4. How does instantaneous curvature in mass warp spacetime affect the universe?

Instantaneous curvature in mass warp spacetime plays a crucial role in the structure and dynamics of the universe. It determines the paths of celestial bodies, the formation of galaxies, and the expansion of the universe. Without it, the universe would not be able to function as it does.

5. Is there any evidence for the existence of instantaneous curvature in mass warp spacetime?

Yes, there is a significant amount of evidence for the existence of instantaneous curvature in mass warp spacetime. This includes the precise predictions made by Einstein's theory of general relativity, such as the bending of light around massive objects, the gravitational redshift of light, and the precession of Mercury's orbit. Additionally, observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation also support the concept of mass warp spacetime curvature.