Is de-evolution taking place?

• Thread starter maximus
  • Start date
I think I've seen "de-evolution" in two places. One place was my high school graduation and the other was my introductory calculus class where people just stopped using their brains and allowed a TI-89 to do EVERYTHING for them. Soon they forgot how to factor.

Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A.G. -
Reminds me of typical "Monod Kinetics" graph for new populations...slow start, then rapid/exponential growth, then plateau, then die-off. Seems we're in the rapid growth phase now...maybe toward the end (isn't the population projection to level off within the next century?). Hopefully we can sustain a long plateau (and maybe a new growth phase if we colonize other planets :smile:).

Another God
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
There's the cool thing about us Humans, which may make us so much more exceptional than any other species so far to have existed. We are the only species to continually stave off that unavoidable, inevitable plateau.

We have hit it in the past, and I guess you could say we still hit it today in local cases, but we have always been able to remove it, and continue growing through one thing or another.

Whether it be improved farming techniques, expansion, better technology leading to better transport of food to remote areas...alteration of food substances (genetic engineering...)...interplanetary travel... We just keep staving off the inevitable.

Its sorta cool.