Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is de Sitter the only vacuum with positive CC

1. May 20, 2015 #1

wabbit

Gold Member

Assuming a spacetime with zero Weyl curvature and an Einstein tensor proportional to the metric, is it true that in a finite neighborhood of any point, that spacetime must be isometric to a de Sitter vacuum, or are there other possible solutions, and if so how are they classified?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Einstein tensor proportional to the metric implies constant scalar curvature. Then vanishing of the Weyl curvature implies that the space is maximally symmetric ##R_{mnpq} = k ( g_{mp}g_{nq} - g_{mq}g_{np})## and therefore of constant sectional curvature. Therefore such a space is, by a conformal rescaling of the metric, equivalent to one of the model constant curvature spaces. For signature ##(1,d-1)## and positive cosmological constant, this is indeed de Sitter.

4. May 20, 2015 #3

wabbit

Gold Member

Thanks - you say "by a conformal rescaling", so it isn't isometric, only conformally equivalent ? I must say conformal transformations isn't something I am really familiar with.

Would you have a source to suggest where I could read more about this ?

5. May 20, 2015 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The issue is that the denominator of the formula for sectional curvature involves precisely the same contractions that correspond to the Riemann tensor of a maximally symmetric manifold. So we can rescale ##g' = e^{2\sigma(x)} g## without changing the sectional curvature. With this relation we say that ##g'## is pointwise conformal to ##g##. If there is a diffeomorphism that pulls ##g'## back to ##g##, then we say that the metrics are conformally equivalent and there is a genuine isometry. I think this is a stronger condition than the assumptions warrant.

It is probably overkill and yet might not even answer all questions that you might have, but the most specific reference I know of is Besse, Einstein Manifolds. Some results are discussed in the first few pages of this lecture.

6. May 21, 2015 #5

wabbit

Gold Member

Ah, the situation seems more complex than I thought - will check these, thanks for the references.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook