1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is DeVry a reputable school?

1. May 7, 2006 #1
    Devry is an institute that gives bachelors in Business and Electronics in no more than 3 years. It's acredited by ABET and other boards. WHat do you guys think of it? Is it a good and reputable school?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2006 #2
    Have you looked into the price?
    I went to ITT Technical INstitute and found it to be a waste of money. Also, the courses are not transferable. I think going to a tradiational Community College or 4 year university would be more economic and give you educational options if you decide to change majors.
    What are your career aspirations? Do you want to be an engineer or just want a degree?

4. May 8, 2006 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can get a Bachelor's in EE in four years from a reputable University. If you go to a state school, it'll largely be free.

I'm a circuit designer for a Nasdaq 100 corporation, and, honestly, I have never met a single person in my entire career who has a degree from DeVry. It might qualify you for a technician or operator position, and you might well be able to advance to better positions later, but -- honestly -- I don't think DeVry is going to qualify you for a very enviable career.

Based on your previous posts, you seem rather hell-bent on trying to become rich and important without putting any actual effort into improving yourself. I'll say it again: go to (a real) school, work hard, and you'll (probably) be successful. There are few shortcuts.

- Warren

5. May 9, 2006 #4
    Devry is no ITT Technical Institute.

6. May 10, 2006 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Line,

Even if it isn't, everyone thinks it is. There are no shortcuts.

- Warren

7. May 11, 2006 #6
    I know several engineering employers (friends of my dad) and they generally do not like Devry grads. Have you ever known someone who would never think for themselves, and when faced with a new problem, they didn't think about it for one second, but just asked for help? Stereotypically, those are Devry grads.

Also, some Devry guys come into my classes sometimes to talk about Devry and tell a bunch of absolute BS.

Lol, like they said "It's regionally accredited... that's what Harvard is!"

Last edited: May 11, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?