Solving Baseballs Colliding with a Car: Find Speed & Position

In summary, the problem involves throwing baseballs at a continuous rate with a certain speed at the back of a car. The car moves with no friction and has a larger mass than the baseballs. The goal is to find the car's speed and position as a function of time using conservation of momentum in elastic collisions. The mass rate of baseballs hitting the car is not the same as the mass rate of baseballs being thrown, but can be derived using the Doppler effect.
Nate Stevens

Homework Statement

You throw baseballs at a mass rate of σ kg/s (assume a continuous rate) with speed u at the back of a car. They collide elastically with the car. The car starts at rest and has mass M. It moves on the ground with no friction. Find its speed and position as a function of time.

Homework Equations

F=ma=mdv/dt=dp/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

To start, I thought I should consider a single collision between one baseball and the car after it has started moving.
I let the thrown baseball have a mass of dm. Then when it hits the car, the car will only gain an infinitesimal amount of speed.
So the initial velocities before the collision are
baseball -> u
car -> v
And the final velocities after the collision are
baseball -> ??
car -> v + dv
If I use the fact that in elastic collisions the relative velocities of two objects (before and after the collision) are reversed, then
u-v = - ( ??-( v+dv ))
solving for ??
?? = 2v+dv-u
Now that we have the baseball's initial and final velocity we can get it's change in momentum
Δp = pf - pi = (2v+dv-u)×dm - (u)×dm = dm×dv + (2v-2u)×dm

I know from here I can get the force on the ball by differentiating the above momentum with respect to t, but before that I need to figure out what to do with the dm×dv. Is it okay say that this will go to zero since it is two very small values multiplied together?

If that is the case, are the final steps just rewriting dm/dt as σ, plugging the momentum into
mdv/dt=dp/dt, and separating variables twice? Somehow I don't think so, since σ is just the mass rate of baseballs being thrown and NOT the mass rate of baseballs hitting the car.

Even if it is just answering the dm*dv question, any help would really be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nate Stevens said:

Homework Statement

You throw baseballs at a mass rate of σ kg/s (assume a continuous rate) with speed u at the back of a car. They collide elastically with the car. The car starts at rest and has mass M. It moves on the ground with no friction. Find its speed and position as a function of time.

Homework Equations

F=ma=mdv/dt=dp/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

To start, I thought I should consider a single collision between one baseball and the car after it has started moving.
I let the thrown baseball have a mass of dm. Then when it hits the car, the car will only gain an infinitesimal amount of speed.
So the initial velocities before the collision are
baseball -> u
car -> v
And the final velocities after the collision are
baseball -> ??
car -> v + dv
If I use the fact that in elastic collisions the relative velocities of two objects (before and after the collision) are reversed, then
u-v = - ( ??-( v+dv ))
solving for ??
?? = 2v+dv-u
Now that we have the baseball's initial and final velocity we can get it's change in momentum
Δp = pf - pi = (2v+dv-u)×dm - (u)×dm = dm×dv + (2v-2u)×dm

I know from here I can get the force on the ball by differentiating the above momentum with respect to t, but before that I need to figure out what to do with the dm×dv. Is it okay say that this will go to zero since it is two very small values multiplied together?

If that is the case, are the final steps just rewriting dm/dt as σ, plugging the momentum into
mdv/dt=dp/dt, and separating variables twice? Somehow I don't think so, since σ is just the mass rate of baseballs being thrown and NOT the mass rate of baseballs hitting the car.

Even if it is just answering the dm*dv question, any help would really be appreciated.

The relative velocities should not be reversed. Use conservation of momentum as it applies to elastic collisions. The car and the baseball have different masses, so if the baseball moves very quickly, it might give the car a very small velocity since the mass of the car is much larger than the mass of the baseball.

Likes Nate Stevens
Nate Stevens said:
Is it okay say that this will go to zero since it is two very small values multiplied together?
Yes.
Nate Stevens said:
σ is just the mass rate of baseballs being thrown and NOT the mass rate of baseballs hitting the car.
Well spotted. How can you derive the one from the other? Hint: it is like a Doppler effect.

doggydan42 said:
The relative velocities should not be reversed.
Nate's equation is correct. This is a result of conservation of momentum in elastic collisions.

Likes Nate Stevens
haruspex said:
Yes.

Well spotted. How can you derive the one from the other? Hint: it is like a Doppler effect.

I have started drawing the case when two baseballs are thrown, and
Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 2.13.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 2.13.18 PM.png

from here I would imagine that you solve for the frequency of baseballs hitting the car. I just don't know how I can relate the frequency of balls thrown (inverse Δt) and the frequency of balls hitting the car (inverse Δt') to the mass rate of balls being thrown (σ) and the mass rate of balls hitting the car (σ' let's say).

Thanks for taking time to help me dan and haruspex!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 2.13.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 2.13.05 PM.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 397
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 2.13.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 2.13.18 PM.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 434
Nate Stevens said:
from here I would imagine that you solve for the frequency of baseballs hitting the car. I just don't know how I can relate the frequency of balls thrown (inverse Δt) and the frequency of balls hitting the car (inverse Δt') to the mass rate of balls being thrown (σ) and the mass rate of balls hitting the car (σ' let's say).

Thanks for taking time to help me dan and haruspex!

You seem to be nearly there. If you imagine a small mass ##\Delta m## is fired in a time ##\Delta t##, then the same mass hits the car in ##\Delta t'##. That's what you've calculated.

This should allow you to relate ##\sigma'## to ##\sigma##.

Likes Nate Stevens

1. How do you determine the speed of a baseball colliding with a car?

The speed of the baseball can be determined using the equation: Speed = (Final Position - Initial Position) / Time. This means that by measuring the distance between where the baseball hit the car and where it landed, and dividing it by the time it took for the collision to occur, the speed of the baseball can be calculated.

2. What factors can affect the speed of a baseball colliding with a car?

The speed of a baseball colliding with a car can be affected by factors such as the initial speed of the baseball, the mass and speed of the car, and the angle at which the baseball hits the car. Other factors that may also have an impact include air resistance and the elasticity of the materials involved.

3. Can the position of the baseball at the time of collision be determined?

Yes, the position of the baseball at the time of collision can be determined by using the equation: Position = Initial Position + (Speed * Time). By plugging in the initial position, speed, and time, the position of the baseball at the time of collision can be calculated.

4. How can this information be useful in a baseball game?

Knowing the speed and position of a baseball colliding with a car can be useful in a baseball game for both players and coaches. It can help players improve their batting skills by understanding the force needed to hit a ball at a certain speed. Coaches can also use this information to analyze and strategize during games.

5. Is there a specific method for solving baseball collisions with a car?

There are various methods and equations that can be used to solve baseball collisions with a car, depending on the specific scenario. However, the most commonly used method is the conservation of momentum, where the momentum of the baseball before the collision is equal to the combined momentum of the baseball and car after the collision.