Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Dune any good?

1. Jan 26, 2010 #1
    I recently picked up the Sci-Fi book Dune from the library.
    Out of curiousity, I'd just like to know what anyone who read it thought of it.

I'd rather not start a book and become bored a few hundred pages in.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

One of my favorites. YMMV.

4. Jan 26, 2010 #3

Dune (and it's 5 sequels) is the best SciFi work Ive ever read. Its certainly not for anyone, if you enjoy SF which reads like an action movie don't read it.

And Btw, only the original books written by Frank Herbert are cool. The ones written by his son with Anderson are pretty much not worth the paper on which they are printed.

5. Jan 26, 2010 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Meh. First book is okay. The second a lot less so. I don't think I actually finished the third.

Plots probably a little more relevant now, though. Local "freedom fighters" on a planet that provides the "fuel" for interstellar travel wage jihad against the evil colonialists. Well, except for an exclusive handful of colonialists that defect, join,and lead the freedom fighters.

Avatar is a lot more entertaining.

6. Jan 26, 2010 #5
    Dune is a very good series in my opinion, but as DanP said, and BobG demonstrated, 'If you enjoy SF which reads like an action movie, don't read it.'

And take heed of this:
    And Btw, only the original books written by Frank Herbert are cool. The ones written by his son with Anderson are pretty much not worth the paper on which they are printed.

7. Jan 26, 2010 #6

turbo

Gold Member

As a stand-alone novel, Dune is unsurpassed, IMO. Take your time and don't try to blast through it. There are subtleties and lots of tenuous connections that pull the whole thing together, so savor it.

8. Jan 26, 2010 #7
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVZkV2LA3yA

9. Jan 26, 2010 #8
    I liked the 3nd, thought it had some nice fluffy gooeyness, but I gave up on the 4th.

I actually like the Sci-Fi channel mini-series better than the books.

10. Jan 26, 2010 #9

turbo

Gold Member

You might want to watch the movie, and THEN read the novel, which is really ***-backwards from the way I approach most books that are brought to film. At least that way (if you have a short attention span) you'll know whether you want do dedicate the time that you really need to appreciate the novel.

11. Jan 26, 2010 #10
    The movie is inaccurate to the book (the mini-serie running on SciFi was better, the Lynch movie is a far cry from Dune).

Besides, watching the movie wouldn't show him the true charm of Dune story, the awesome attention to detail Herbert put in it. In a word, he would miss the whole world Herbert created.
    IMO, of course.

12. Jan 26, 2010 #11

turbo

Gold Member

I agree. The novel was fantastic. The movie was a pale imitation. The problem is that we have a person asking if the novel is any good. The answer should be obvious, but even somebody who has a passing familiarity with the Dune move should be able to ramp up some interest in the book.

13. Jan 26, 2010 #12
    Read it! One of my top 5 books of all time. It's sooooooo epic you absolutely have to read it!

Edit: don't watch the movie that's crazy talk :)

14. Jan 26, 2010 #13
    You watch the movie for the awesomely amazing awfulness of it. It's pure sci-fi camp badness.

If you want something to get you interested in the books, I vote for the mini-series. It's why I decided to read the books in the first place. It's full of pretty eye-candy and generally stays true to the story, while downplaying the military/tech stuff. On the other hand, if you like minute details on desert water filtration systems, the book's totally your speed.

15. Jan 26, 2010 #14

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's one of my favorite Sci Fi novels!

Dune defines good science fiction. In a world full of B-Movie quality science fiction novels. Dune stands on its own.

However, you won't know if it's for you unless you give it a shot. I can only tell you what I think, not what you think.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it!

16. Jan 27, 2010 #15

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

My take on Dune is that only people who are Dune fans are Dune fans. That's not quite as recursive as it sounds. Put another way, if you don't know if you will like Dune, you probably won't.

Caveat: I haven't attempted the book. If if bears any relation whatsoever the movie, it'll bore me to tears.

17. Jan 27, 2010 #16
    The first book is fantastic. The sequels pretty much suck.

18. Jan 27, 2010 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I started the first book three times over the last three decades. For some reason, it never hooked me. And the movie didn't help. I saw it when it was first released, and all I remember is Sting yelling "I will kill him!"

19. Jan 27, 2010 #18
    Agreed, except for the 3 decades part haha. It never hooked me either, although I liked the mini-series. I prefer "The Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan or "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss for sci-fi. They're closer to "The Lord of the Rings" than "Dune" though...

20. Jan 27, 2010 #19
    All those are more heroic fantasy than SciFi. Maybe you dig this more than SciFi. I love Dune. And for movies, nothing beats for me Star Wars :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook