1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Is electronics engineering still secure for the future with photonics approaching?

1. Jul 10, 2012 #1
    Hi, I'm planning to become an engineer and so far have narrowed my choices down to mechanical, electrical, or computer engineering. I do personal projects on my own time mostly involving circuits, but lately I have been troubled by the news of light replacing electricity in circuits(though I think its a great idea). My question is am I wasting my time by learning about circuits and how to put them together and how they work when photonics could possibly render much of what I'm learning obsolete in the future or is putting my time into this still a good investment? Thanks guys!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2012 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Re: Is electronics engineering still secure for the future with photonics approaching

If your strategy is to learn something in college, and then apply that for your entire career without learning new things, you will be in trouble. Independent of your choice of field.

4. Jul 10, 2012 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Is electronics engineering still secure for the future with photonics approaching

In any technical field, most of the specifics of what you learn in college will be obsolete techinology within a few years. The most important thing you need to learn is how to keep on learring for the rest of your working life.

5. Jul 10, 2012 #4

Thanks guys Ill just continue my projects and take any new developments in the future with a smile and a mind willing to learn.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook