Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is emf generated when magnet moves linearly across own field

1. Dec 9, 2014 #1
    Does an emf create across the body of a magnet when the magnet is linearly moving across its own field.

If ABCD is a rectangular magnet of thickness t, AB is the north pole and CD is the south pole. If the magnet moves in the direction of t, that is perpendicular to ABCD plane, will there be an emf generated between the faces AC and BD?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2014 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can't have the magnet move with respect to itself. If you are asking for the electric field on the faces of the magnet itself, then you can simply work in the rest frame of the magnet. In that frame, there is no electric field. In a Lorentz boosted frame, e.g. if I am standing still as the magnet moved passed me, then I will see an electric field.

4. Dec 9, 2014 #3
    Matterwave: But this is happening when a magnet rotates, like in the Faraday disc.

5. Dec 10, 2014 #4

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A rotating frame is different than a inertial frame. You are talking about a magnet undergoing uniform linear motion are you not?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook