Is EN353 cold forgeable as much as SCM420

In summary, there may be some challenges with cold forging gears using SCM420 due to its chemical composition, but it may be worth considering using EN353 as an alternative option.
k.udhay
Hi,

We are doing a gear box for a two wheeler (for the first time). Most of our benchmarks are of Suzuki and Honda bikes. All their gears are made of SCM420. Surprising part is these gear teeth are formed by cold forging. No machining at all!

Now, I was comparing the chemical composition of SCM420 with EN353 and there were few components similar (C, Cr, Mo, Si) and few different. [ol i]

• Marginally high P and S in SCM420.
  • Plus, there is a small addition of Cu in SCM420.
  • Most importantly Ni is very less.
I am not sure about the impact of these changes. However, I have read nickel provides more toughness and since EN353 contains more Nickel, can I cold forge gears with EN353 as well? Will I land up in any problem? Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Associated links:
http://www.manansteel.com/EN-353-Black-Bar-Exporters-Suppliers.html
http://www.steelgr.com/Steel-Grades/Carbon-Steel/scm420.html

Engineering news on Phys.org
[/ol]The higher P and S in SCM420 may lead to some issues with the cold forging of the gear teeth. The lack of Ni in SCM420 may lead to lower toughness compared to what is seen with EN353, which could affect the performance of the gearbox. While it is possible to cold forge with EN353, it may not be the best choice as the higher Ni content may lead to other issues, such as increased brittleness or reduced strength. You should test the material to see if it is suitable for your application and take into account any additional costs associated with using EN353.

1. Is EN353 as forgeable as SCM420?

Both EN353 and SCM420 are commonly used high-strength low-alloy steels. While they have similar chemical compositions and mechanical properties, EN353 is not as forgeable as SCM420. This is because EN353 has a higher carbon content, which makes it more prone to cracking during forging. SCM420, on the other hand, has a lower carbon content and is more easily forged.

2. Can EN353 be cold forged?

Yes, EN353 can be cold forged. Cold forging is a process in which metal is shaped and formed at room temperature without the use of heat. While EN353 is not as easily forgeable as SCM420, it can still be cold forged with the use of proper techniques and equipment.

3. What is the difference between cold forging and hot forging?

Cold forging and hot forging are two different methods of shaping and forming metal. Cold forging is done at room temperature, while hot forging is done at high temperatures (typically above 1700°F). Hot forging is generally preferred for EN353 due to its high carbon content, which makes it more difficult to shape at room temperature.

4. What are the advantages of cold forging?

Cold forging offers several advantages over hot forging. It requires less energy and produces less waste, making it a more environmentally friendly process. It also results in improved mechanical properties and a more precise final product. Additionally, cold forging allows for the production of more complex shapes and tighter tolerances.

5. What factors affect the forgeability of EN353?

The forgeability of EN353, or any metal, is affected by several factors. These include the chemical composition of the metal, its microstructure, and its temperature during forging. For EN353, the higher carbon content and resulting microstructure make it more difficult to forge. Proper temperature control and use of lubricants can help improve its forgeability.

Back