1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Engineering Boring?

1. Jun 14, 2012 #1
    Hello! I was wondering if engineering is a boring job. I love to fix and tinker with things, like bikes and electronics, so I thought engineering might be a good field to study in college. Is there much hands-on work in engineering?
    I really like working in huge shops. Which branch of engineering is most suited to this?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2012 #2
    Life is boring, but there are fun aspects to it. The same goes for engineering. There are hands on aspects to every field of engineering, and there are also aspects that are strictly theoretical or computational. If you want to do hands on work, you will find it in any area of engineering. I would recommend mechanical engineering or electrical engineering though.

4. Jul 31, 2012 #3
    Engineering is really interesting as it involves real life problem solving and you will find that no two situations are the same. I agree with nucl34rgg that it sounds like mechanical or electrical might be the right route for you. I would look up more about the two and consider doing and "information interview" with people working in those two branches and see if its something you wan to study.

5. Jul 31, 2012 #4
    I may be mistaken, but I figured I'd bring it up so that people who know more about it can chime in. Wouldn't engineering technology be a more appropriate major for someone who wanted to go into a more hands-on job?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook