Is Mechanical Engineering the Right Fit for Me?

In summary, according to the content, a mechanical engineer must take math and science classes related to mechanics and transportation. If one is not interested in being on the field, then this is not the right profession for them.
pxavier
Is Mechanical Engineering right for me?
I am currently a sophomore level mechanical engineer at a well known university. I applied as an engineer during high school, with “cars”, “engines”, and “automobiles” on my mind. As time goes, I struggle with all the work I’m being presented with, and currently I have a low GPA. I’ve been improving on this very much, however. But I’m starting to dislike engineering. I find myself wishing I hadn’t chosen it and had done Film, what I wrote my college essay on when applying for college. I’m also frustrated with the classes I’m taking: Calculus I, II, & III, Statics, Thermodynamics, Linear Algebra, Engineering Graphics/Computer Design, and of course, Physics and Chemistry. Those are the classes of which I’ve taken that relate most to Mechanical Engineering, and NONE of them are hands on besides the physics and chemistry labs. If you want to count computer design, then that also. There is only one engineering course dealing with automobiles and that comes senior year. The closest thing to an auto class would be the campus Baja club, designing baja buggies.
As for the other classes, like Writing, Psychology, Forensics, Music, and the such, I enjoyed them the most. i’m more of an outdoors person, and I HAVE to work with my hands, I dread and hate computer work… But if it comes to auto engines I wouldn’t mind being under a car, and designing them also while being on the field. I hear that Mechanical Engineers rarely do both? If so, then it definitely isn’t for me. Is this true?

I’ve found myself floating towards Biology now, thinking of majoring in that and minoring in Fine Arts and Anthropology for the heck of it (I love tattoos and archeology, so I figured I might as well learn about both.) My problem is that I don’t want to switch majors so late and regret it in the future.

What do you think? And what exactly would a mechanical engineer have to do with cars/engines? If I'm not on the field, then engineering's not for me.I want to have a calculator in my had a little less than a wrench.

I love animals also. I’ve had about 8 different pets growing up… Used to breed parakeets for the pet store and my neighborhood friends/family. Also, I REALLY love the outdoors, as much as movies and tattoos. So if mechanical eng. does end up right for me, I’ll still be able to work with those interests by taking minors related to those.

Physics news on Phys.org
Only one knows what is right for one. One might check out the SAE.
http://www.sae.org/

If one does engineering, one has to do math and science (e.g., physics, chemistry, . . . ) courses. Chemistry would be used in understanding combustion or corrosion, which one could encounter in mechanical engineering related to transportation or power systems.

Designing is not necessarily engineering. A designer might simply use a CAD program for drafting/drawing a part. However, draftwork/drawing is not engineering.

One might look to see if there is a student chapter of SAE on campus. If there is not an automotive engineering program, then this is likely in the MechE department.

Astronuc said:
Only one knows what is right for one. One might check out the SAE.
http://www.sae.org/

If one does engineering, one has to do math and science (e.g., physics, chemistry, . . . ) courses. Chemistry would be used in understanding combustion or corrosion, which one could encounter in mechanical engineering related to transportation or power systems.

Designing is not necessarily engineering. A designer might simply use a CAD program for drafting/drawing a part. However, draftwork/drawing is not engineering.

One might look to see if there is a student chapter of SAE on campus. If there is not an automotive engineering program, then this is likely in the MechE department.

So basically, I'd have to be intrigued by chemical processes and physical phenomena?

You might look into engineering technology instead. It's a more hands-on approach. Alternatively, I believe being a test engineer requires a physical presence, but you're not going to start that until you enter the job market.

The decision should depend on your interests. Find out one that is interesting and you have enough confidence to move on.

1. What does it take to be an engineer?

To be an engineer, you need to have a strong aptitude for math and science, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. You also need to be detail-oriented, have good communication skills, and be able to work well in a team.

2. What are the different types of engineering?

There are many different types of engineering, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and aerospace. Each type focuses on different areas and industries, so it's important to research and choose the one that aligns with your interests and goals.

3. Is engineering a lucrative career?

Engineering is generally considered a well-paying career, with many opportunities for growth and advancement. However, salaries can vary depending on your specific field, level of education, and location.

4. What can I expect from an engineering program?

Engineering programs typically involve a combination of classroom lectures, laboratory work, and hands-on projects. You will learn about fundamental principles and theories, as well as gain practical skills and experience through projects and internships.

5. How do I know if engineering is the right career for me?

If you have a strong interest in math and science, enjoy problem-solving and critical thinking, and have a passion for creating and designing solutions, then engineering may be the right career for you. It's also important to research and gain experience in the different types of engineering to see which one aligns best with your interests.