Exploring Entanglement: Is it Commutative?

• I
  • Thread starter Kenneth Adam Miller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entanglement
In summary, quantum computer components use multiplexing laser reflections to entangle qubits, which must be scaled to many qubits through simultaneous operations. There are examples of the slit experiment at a microscopic level to explain the hardware, but it may not be strictly accurate. Entanglement is commutative, meaning that the amount of entanglement between two particles remains constant even if one interacts with a third particle. However, the distribution of entanglement may change. This is known as the monogamy of entanglement. As one particle becomes less entangled with another, it must become more entangled with a third particle.
Kenneth Adam Miller
I've seen diagrams of quantum computer components at a high level that discusses multiplexing laser reflections over many qubits, and I have to believe that entanglement as a hardware operation has to be scaled to the many qubits by means of some operation that is applied to each of them simultaneously. That being said, if I remember correctly, there were examples of the slit experiment at a microscopic level to give readers at a introductory level an impression of what the hardware was doing. But I don't think that that was strictly what was actually at that level. Perhaps I working with a very vague understanding, but what I want to know is, if you have light that is entangled, and you strike a super cooled qubit of any kind, does that mean that that qubit is also suspended in entanglement? In other words, is entanglement commutative?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a pair of entangled photons A and B, and one of those photons B interacts with a qubit C, the amount of entanglement between A and the joint system BC remains the same (assuming no additional environmental interaction).

The amount of entanglement between A and B may change due to B interacting with C, but if A has no further interaction with B or C, the total entanglement between A and BC must remain constant.

Ok, so it's as though A now shares a total entanglement with all three, but BC sort of share a subspace determined by the metrics of their interaction, is that correct?

If I understand you correctly, yes.

A shares entanglement with BC, and the amount of entanglement between A and BC is the same before and after B and C interact.
What's different is how much entanglement A shares with just B, or with just C.

There's a useful concept called the monogamy of entanglement that says the amount of entanglement B shares with AC cannot be less than the sum of the entanglement between A and B, and between B and C.
[itex]E(A:BC)\geq E(A:B) + E(A:C)[/itex]
So, as A becomes less entangled with B, A must be more entangled with C, (or at least, the maximum possible entanglement between A and C increases.

Fascinating. Thank you.

1. What is entanglement commutative?

Entanglement commutative is a term used in quantum mechanics to describe the relationship between two or more entangled particles. It refers to the property that the order in which measurements are made on the particles does not affect the outcome.

2. How does entanglement commutative work?

Entanglement commutative is a consequence of the entangled particles sharing a quantum state. This state is described by a mathematical equation, known as a wave function, which contains information about the properties of both particles. When measurements are made on the particles, the wave function collapses and the properties of the particles are determined. The entanglement commutative property ensures that the order of measurements does not change the final outcome.

3. What are the applications of entanglement commutative?

Entanglement commutative has many potential applications in quantum computing, cryptography, and communication. It allows for the secure transmission of information, as any attempt to eavesdrop on the entangled particles would disrupt their shared quantum state. It also plays a key role in quantum teleportation, where information can be transferred between entangled particles over long distances.

4. Is entanglement commutative a proven phenomenon?

Yes, entanglement commutative has been extensively studied and has been proven to be a fundamental property of quantum mechanics. Numerous experiments have been conducted that demonstrate the entanglement commutative behavior of entangled particles.

5. How does entanglement commutative differ from classical physics?

Entanglement commutative is a concept unique to quantum mechanics and does not have a classical physics counterpart. In classical physics, the properties of particles are determined and fixed, while in quantum mechanics, the properties of particles are probabilistic and can be influenced by the act of measurement. The concept of entanglement commutative highlights the fundamentally different nature of quantum mechanics compared to classical physics.