Is Entropy Truly Subjective?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary, the concept of entropy is usually associated with thermodynamics, but it can also be applied to other sources of order. For example, a deck of cards can have its entropy measured, with a fresh and sorted deck having the lowest possible entropy. However, the idea of order itself is subjective and can vary depending on the property of interest. Therefore, entropy can be seen as a property of a macrostate rather than a single microstate.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
So I get into these discussions on other ... less scientific ... fora, and then run into trouble and have to come here for correct answers.

I state these as assumptions but they are really questions. Please correct.
  • Entropy is usually applied in a thermodynamics context, but it can be applied to any other source of order just as easily.
  • A deck of cards can have its entropy measured.
  • A fresh, sorted deck of cards has the lowest entropy possible, as it is in the highest ordered state possible.
But:
  • The "order" of a deck of cards is entirely arbitrary. There's nothing objective about sequential human symbols.
  • I could just as arbitrarily decide that the property of interest isn't sequential printed numbers, rather - I don't know - weight. The deck of cards is at its lowest entropic state when they are sorted heaviest card (most ink) to lightest card.
  • I could even leave the property of interest the same and arbitrarily decide what is ordered and what is not:
    • I start with a sequential deck of cards. I decide they are ordered.
    • I shuffle them, and measure the disorder.
    • I then declare the new state to be perfectly ordered, and shuffle again.
So, either entropy is dependent on the property (or properties) of interest (and therefore subjective) or I am misapplying the concept of entropy.

Science news on Phys.org
Entropy isn't really a property of a single microstate, e.g. a way of ordering a deck of cards, or a combination of particle position and momenta in a classical point particle ideal gas. It's a property of a thermodynamical macrostate, like a combination of variables ##P,V,n,T## of an ideal gas, and it gets larger when there is a greater number of microstates that are consistent with that apparent macroscopic state.

It's a bit difficult to define "macroscopic" variables for a deck of cards, but you could for instance sum the number of red cards in the deck that have a black card both before and after them to obtain a variable that is some kind of average over the microstate variables.

Likes nasu, jim mcnamara, Dale and 1 other person
Shuffled Cards, Messy Desks, and Disorderly Dorm Rooms — Examples of Entropy Increase? Nonsense!
by F. L. Lambert
http://entropysite.oxy.edu/shuffled_cards.html#c1

• Informative
Likes DaveC426913, Klystron and DrClaude

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a physical quantity that measures the level of disorder or randomness in a system. It is often described as the measure of the amount of energy that is unavailable for work in a system.

2. Is entropy subjective?

This is a debated topic among scientists. Some argue that entropy is objective and can be measured objectively, while others argue that our perception of entropy is subjective and influenced by our understanding and interpretation of the system.

3. How is entropy related to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system will always increase over time. This means that the disorder in a system will always tend to increase, and it is related to the concept of entropy as a measure of disorder.

4. Can we reverse the increase of entropy in a system?

According to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, the increase of entropy in an isolated system is inevitable. However, we can decrease the entropy in a local area by adding energy and creating order. This process, however, will always result in an overall increase in entropy.

5. How is entropy used in different scientific fields?

Entropy is used in various scientific fields, including thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, information theory, and cosmology. It is a fundamental concept that helps us understand the behavior of systems and processes in the physical world.